POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent object casting a shadow with radiosity Server Time
29 Apr 2024 00:25:41 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent object casting a shadow with radiosity (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Kevin Wampler
Subject: Transparent object casting a shadow with radiosity
Date: 9 Oct 2013 22:07:32
Message: <52560be4@news.povray.org>
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious here, but I can't seem to figure
out what it is.  I'm trying to render a scene using HDR lighting from a
light probe, and am finding that semi (or even wholly) transparent
objects are interacting with radiosity as if they were opaque.  I've
tried cranking up max_trace_level and recursion_limit to no effect.

I've included a sample scene which shows the problem.  The scene
contains a bright disc as a radiosity-based light source, a white plane,
and a transparent disc slightly over the plane.  Despite the fact that
the disc is completely transparent, it seems to be casting a shadow and
a get this result: http://i.imgur.com/PME9OfO.png  I get similar results
for partially-transparent objects where their shadows are much darker
then they should be.

Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?  I'm using Povray version
3.7.RC7.msvc.win64.

--------------

#version 3.7;

global_settings {
   assumed_gamma 2.2
   max_trace_level 10
   ambient_light rgb 1
   radiosity {
     // as far as I know, these should be really high-quality settings
     pretrace_start 0.08
     pretrace_end   0.004
     count 2000
     nearest_count 9
     error_bound 0.2
     recursion_limit 10
     low_error_factor 0.2
     gray_threshold 0
     minimum_reuse 0.01
     brightness 1.0
     adc_bailout 0.01/2
   }
}

camera {
   orthographic
   location <0, 0, 10>
   direction <0, 0, -1>
   right 2*x
   up 2*y
}

background {
   color rgb 0
}

// set up a `light source' to cast shadows via radiosity
disc {
   2*z, z, 1.0, 0.0
   pigment{ color rgb 1 }
   finish { diffuse 0 emission 5 }
   hollow
   no_image
   no_shadow
   scale 10000
}

// a plane for the shadows to be cast upon
plane {
   z, 0
   pigment { color rgb 1 }
   finish { ambient 0 diffuse 1.0 }
}

// This disc is completely transparent, so why does it cast a shadow?
disc {
   0.1*z, z, 0.9, 0.5
   pigment { color rgbt 1 }
   finish { diffuse 1 }
}

Post a reply to this message

On 10/9/2013 9:07 PM, Kevin Wampler wrote:
> [...]
>    up 2*y
> }
>
> background {
>    color rgb 0
> }
>
> // set up a `light source' to cast shadows via radiosity
> disc {
>    2*z, z, 1.0, 0.0
>    pigment{ color rgb 1 }
>    finish { diffuse 0 emission 5 }
>    hollow
>    no_image
>    no_shadow
>    scale 10000
> }
>
> // a plane for the shadows to be cast upon
> plane {
>    z, 0
>    pigment { color rgb 1 }
>    finish { ambient 0 diffuse 1.0 }
> }
>
> // This disc is completely transparent, so why does it cast a shadow?

Remove the no_image from the light source disk. I posted about this
issue too but got no replies so I suppose it is the expected behavior.

here is my post:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3C519adfbf%241%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=387306&toff=50

FlyerX

Post a reply to this message