POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : My first rendering Server Time
4 Sep 2024 18:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  My first rendering (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Ekki Plicht
Subject: My first rendering
Date: 28 Aug 2002 14:30:26
Message: <3d6d16c2@news.povray.org>
Hi,
at http://www.plicht.de/ekki/profi2

you can see my first rendering with POV-RAY. I am totally amazed at what
this program does. Congrats to the authors.

Regards,
Ekki

Post a reply to this message

From: hughes b
Subject: Re: My first rendering
Date: 28 Aug 2002 16:36:14
Message: <3d6d343e$1@news.povray.org>
"Ekki Plicht" <ekk### [at] plichtde> wrote in message
> at http://www.plicht.de/ekki/profi2
>
> you can see my first rendering with POV-RAY. I am totally amazed at what
> this program does. Congrats to the authors.

....First? Um.... okay.  :-)

That device really exists? A Morse code key or other thing?

Seems you have a few things you want to do with it, as you said in your
"lacking" list. The polished texture could easily be made less perfect/new
by adding a texture layer over the current one. Something with highly
filtered grays (or greys) and a normal map having fine erratic lines;
specular finish also or the normals won't show as well I think. Springs or
coils are easier now since version 3.5 has sphere_sweep. Not sure what you
meant about the screws.

Post a reply to this message

> "Ekki Plicht" <ekk### [at] plichtde> wrote in message
>> at http://www.plicht.de/ekki/profi2
>>
>> you can see my first rendering with POV-RAY. I am totally amazed at what
>> this program does. Congrats to the authors.
>
> ....First? Um.... okay.  :-)
>
> That device really exists? A Morse code key or other thing?
>
> Seems you have a few things you want to do with it, as you said in your
> "lacking" list. The polished texture could easily be made less perfect/new
> by adding a texture layer over the current one. Something with highly
> filtered grays (or greys) and a normal map having fine erratic lines;
> specular finish also or the normals won't show as well I think. Springs or
> coils are easier now since version 3.5 has sphere_sweep. Not sure what you
> meant about the screws.

Hi,
thanks for the tips.
Indeed, that device exists, it sits here on my desk and is one of the finest
Morse keys ever made.

Textures are sure one of the things I don't quite understand (yet), I just
used the premade textures which come with Povray 3.5. Ok on the springs, I
discovered sphere_sweep today in the online help, which I read while the
program renders...

Some of the items mentioned lacking or incorrect are small things like the
radius of the sphere which tops the small screws aren't correct to the
reality, but that is indistinguishable.

Anyway, rendering is big fun. I perfectly understand all the "You have been
ray tracing too long, when ..." now very well <g>

Cheers,
Ekki

Post a reply to this message