POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:17:52 EDT (-0400)
  Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: RAY
Subject: Re: Generating Meshes from Arrays of Points
Date: 12 Feb 2002 15:30:33
Message: <3c697b69@news.povray.org>
> I've got an Array of points,
> which is unsorted, and now I want to generate a closed Mesh. I'm just not
> sure about the algorithm to use for that. I thought that I could search
for
> the nearest four points and connect them to two triangles and that would
fit
> to a closed Mesh... But this doesn't seem to work (Maybe there is also a
> fault in the programm, who knows ;)). I would be interested in a working
> algorithm (not in finished macros).
I'm not sure but I think it could use mesh2s to do that, by dumping the
array into the face_indices.

Post a reply to this message

From: Florian Pesth
Date: 13 Feb 2002 12:01:57
Message: <3c6a9c05@news.povray.org>
Hi!
> I'm not sure but I think it could use mesh2s to do that, by dumping the
> array into the face_indices.
I'm sorry for the late answer, but at this week I have no time... I could
also use mesh2. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think this is a feature of
Povray 3.5 and I'm working with Povray 3.1g. And this won't solve my
problem. My problem is to find the triangles of an arbitrary point cloud
which fit into a closed surface. Povray will not do this job, because there
are many different ways to define a surface. For this I want to write a
program (at the next weekend; I will post beginning of next week about the
results).
Thanks for the hint,
Florian