POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Heightfields Server Time
5 Sep 2024 02:18:05 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfields (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: j-r-taylortayrwh
Subject: Heightfields
Date: 15 Nov 2001 15:00:24
Message: <3bf41ed8@news.povray.org>
Hi all

I been trying to model a gargoyles head which would be "mounted" on a wall
(the type of thing you see in gothic churches). After failed attempts with
Amapi and Amorphium I thought about using a heightfield, grabbing a pen and
paper I sketched out a gargoyle, complete with contours scanned it in and
preceded to shade it using the airbrush tool in Photosuite. The results
aren't nice.
Is there such a thing that would smoothly shade between the contours to give
the the correct result? Or I am just going to have to get better with the
airbrush tool?
I've already looked on the povray links page under heightfield tools.

Thanks
Jim

Post a reply to this message

> I been trying to model a gargoyles head which would be "mounted" on a wall
> (the type of thing you see in gothic churches). After failed attempts with
> Amapi and Amorphium I thought about using a heightfield, grabbing a pen and
> paper I sketched out a gargoyle, complete with contours scanned it in and
> preceded to shade it using the airbrush tool in Photosuite. The results
> aren't nice.
> Is there such a thing that would smoothly shade between the contours to give
> the the correct result? Or I am just going to have to get better with the
> airbrush tool?
> I've already looked on the povray links page under heightfield tools.

http://www.kressworks.com/Art/resources/JWK_works/pieta_finished.jpg

The scupture in this image was created using a height field object. Jim
used a technique I shared with him using a base image to work with and
then using Leveller (see links below) as a tool to selectively raise
and lower the various areas that needed special attention. It is very
tedious and time consuming work but you can achieve the desired results
this way. Leveller also offers various 3D smoothing and filtering tools
that classical 2D paint programs don't offer.

http://www.daylongraphics.com/products/leveller/index.htm

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message