POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Pentium4 1.5GHz and Pentium 3 650MHz speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:15:23 EDT (-0400)
  Pentium4 1.5GHz and Pentium 3 650MHz speed (Message 1 to 10 of 13)
From: Jong
Subject: Pentium4 1.5GHz and Pentium 3 650MHz speed
Date: 30 Aug 2001 07:19:35
Message: <3b8e2147$1@news.povray.org>
Dear povers,

 I just installed on my new P4 1.5GHz(RDRAM128MB) with WindowsMe the POV-ray
3.1g. I compared the rendering speed running the same POV scene files(size
of 9MB) which was exported from Rhino3D modeler. The speed margin of the
1.5GHz was just 25-30% over the P3 650MHz Windows98SE(SDRAM almost 312MB).
Do I better run the POV under MS2000 instead of the Me to get much faster
raytracing?

Thanks for you help.
Jong

Post a reply to this message

>  I just installed on my new P4 1.5GHz(RDRAM128MB) with WindowsMe the POV-ray
> 3.1g. I compared the rendering speed running the same POV scene files(size
> of 9MB) which was exported from Rhino3D modeler. The speed margin of the
> 1.5GHz was just 25-30% over the P3 650MHz Windows98SE(SDRAM almost 312MB).
> Do I better run the POV under MS2000 instead of the Me to get much faster
> raytracing?
>
> Thanks for you help.
> Jong

  Hmmm... that really sounds as a very little improvement... From what I
heared about ME, it can be the real problem. Anyhow, you can render some
of the benchs to see if the P4 is too slow, and compare with other ME
users...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
http://www.ignorancia.org/

Post a reply to this message

btw, does POV-ray also support Windows 2000 on top of NT? Sorry for my dumb
question.

Jong
"Jaime Vives Piqueres" <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote in message

> > Dear povers,
> >
> >  I just installed on my new P4 1.5GHz(RDRAM128MB) with WindowsMe the
POV-ray
> > 3.1g. I compared the rendering speed running the same POV scene
files(size
> > of 9MB) which was exported from Rhino3D modeler. The speed margin of the
> > 1.5GHz was just 25-30% over the P3 650MHz Windows98SE(SDRAM almost
312MB).
> > Do I better run the POV under MS2000 instead of the Me to get much
faster
> > raytracing?
> >
> > Thanks for you help.
> > Jong
>
>   Hmmm... that really sounds as a very little improvement... From what I
> heared about ME, it can be the real problem. Anyhow, you can render some
> of the benchs to see if the P4 is too slow, and compare with other ME
> users...
>
> --
> Jaime Vives Piqueres
>
> La Persistencia de la Ignorancia
> http://www.ignorancia.org/

Post a reply to this message

> btw, does POV-ray also support Windows 2000 on top of NT?

Yes.

--
Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message