POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Pentium4 1.5GHz and Pentium 3 650MHz speed : Re: Pentium4 1.5GHz and Pentium 3 650MHz speed Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:15:56 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Pentium4 1.5GHz and Pentium 3 650MHz speed
From: Norbert Kern
Date: 1 Sep 2001 10:19:31
Message: <3b90ee73@news.povray.org>
Dear Jong,

better, but is better suited for inherently unoptimized programs as pov-ray
by example; okay, the floating point units of an Athlon are better designed
as the P4 ones)).
Your numbers seem reasonable when compared to other P4 entries in the link.
Its the P4 architecture itself. The P4 is only designed to reach high
frequencies (as high as 10 GHz in some years). To be fast you have to use
speciallly optimized software. Nowadays only Quake3 seems to be optimized
with SSE2 commands. In most other areas an Athlon with "normal" architecture
is better suited.
Perhaps the best for you is to use the P4 optimized variant of the 3.1g
version of pov-ray or to change to an Athlon, sorry.

Norbert