POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : question about union Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:15:19 EDT (-0400)
  question about union (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: nospam
Subject: question about union
Date: 27 Jul 2001 13:21:47
Message: <3B61C022.7060803@nospam>
Hi All,
I've created a model in a 3rd party software and exported it to POV(for
finishing), that has multiple objects in it. I want to use the "union"
statement/function to group all the objects for moving, rotating, etc.
I've seen the examples shown here, but I have a question.
When exported to POV from another software, POV shows each object as
"mesh2" with it's list of vectors, faces, etc., but no location
coordinates or scaling values. So when declaring each object, and giving
them names, is there a defalut set of values in POV that will keep your
objects sizes/coordinates(in relation to the model) the same, or does
this have to be written in? If someone could give me a good clear
example of how to do this, I would appreciate it.
Les

Post a reply to this message

> I've created a model in a 3rd party software and exported it to POV(for
> finishing), that has multiple objects in it. I want to use the "union"
> statement/function to group all the objects for moving, rotating, etc.
> I've seen the examples shown here, but I have a question.
> When exported to POV from another software, POV shows each object as
> "mesh2" with it's list of vectors, faces, etc., but no location
> coordinates or scaling values. So when declaring each object, and giving
> them names, is there a defalut set of values in POV that will keep your
> objects sizes/coordinates(in relation to the model) the same, or does
> this have to be written in? If someone could give me a good clear
> example of how to do this, I would appreciate it.

Hopefully this is the answer:  min_extent and max_extent, keywords in
MegaPOV.

Plus writing it in  :-)

These are known as the Bounds Patch (section 9.1 of the MP doc, examples
there) for getting the smallest and largest vector (corners) of a object.
You would then need to apply those in some way to place and scale your
separate objects to a uniform size.  CSG union of them in itself is no
problem.

Bob H.

Post a reply to this message