POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : question about union : Re: question about union Server Time
5 Sep 2024 06:19:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: question about union
From: Bob H
Date: 27 Jul 2001 16:07:02
Message: <3b61c9e6@news.povray.org>
<nospam@nospam> wrote in message news:3B61C022.7060803@nospam...

> I've created a model in a 3rd party software and exported it to POV(for
> finishing), that has multiple objects in it. I want to use the "union"
> statement/function to group all the objects for moving, rotating, etc.
> I've seen the examples shown here, but I have a question.
> When exported to POV from another software, POV shows each object as
> "mesh2" with it's list of vectors, faces, etc., but no location
> coordinates or scaling values. So when declaring each object, and giving
> them names, is there a defalut set of values in POV that will keep your
> objects sizes/coordinates(in relation to the model) the same, or does
> this have to be written in? If someone could give me a good clear
> example of how to do this, I would appreciate it.

Hopefully this is the answer:  min_extent and max_extent, keywords in
MegaPOV.

Plus writing it in  :-)

These are known as the Bounds Patch (section 9.1 of the MP doc, examples
there) for getting the smallest and largest vector (corners) of a object.
You would then need to apply those in some way to place and scale your
separate objects to a uniform size.  CSG union of them in itself is no
problem.

Bob H.