POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent object Server Time
5 Sep 2024 10:29:12 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent object (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: Lothar Esser
Subject: Transparent object
Date: 23 Apr 2001 20:17:42
Message: <3AE4C627.7A1ECD78@helix.nih.gov>
Hi,

  is there a way to keep the alpha value for a partially transparent
object ?
Regarding my earlier question, a transparent background color works
well  together with the +UA switch but if any object
has a transparency < 1.0 it will get the appropriately mixed color
(object(s) + background color) and appears to have a final
transparency of 0. In most cases this is exactly what you want. But what
if I want to generate say a 50% transparent square and keep that
information in my image so that when I move it over my screen, I would
see the local background shining through. Even this is easy as long as
the transparency is uniform but what if it is more complex say one uses
a color_map with transparency gradients ???

Lothar.

--
Dr. Lothar Esser
NIH / NCI

Post a reply to this message

>   is there a way to keep the alpha value for a partially transparent
> object ?

If you don't find any other solution, you can use just red and blue
light (for example), and a green background. Then create an alpha
channel from the green channel, and use it with the image rendered with
normal light and background.

--
JM

Post a reply to this message

> If you don't find any other solution, you can use just red and blue
> light (for example), and a green background. Then create an alpha
> channel from the green channel, and use it with the image rendered with
> normal light and background.

Thanks. Interesting solution ...

L.

Post a reply to this message