POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Transparent object : Transparent object Server Time
5 Sep 2024 08:15:42 EDT (-0400)
  Transparent object
From: Lothar Esser
Date: 23 Apr 2001 20:17:42
Message: <3AE4C627.7A1ECD78@helix.nih.gov>
Hi,

  is there a way to keep the alpha value for a partially transparent
object ?
Regarding my earlier question, a transparent background color works
well  together with the +UA switch but if any object
has a transparency < 1.0 it will get the appropriately mixed color
(object(s) + background color) and appears to have a final
transparency of 0. In most cases this is exactly what you want. But what
if I want to generate say a 50% transparent square and keep that
information in my image so that when I move it over my screen, I would
see the local background shining through. Even this is easy as long as
the transparency is uniform but what if it is more complex say one uses
a color_map with transparency gradients ???

Lothar.

--
Dr. Lothar Esser
NIH / NCI