POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : To all handcoders: How do I use cubic_patch Server Time
5 Sep 2024 14:18:22 EDT (-0400)
  To all handcoders: How do I use cubic_patch (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Joachim Häfner
Subject: To all handcoders: How do I use cubic_patch
Date: 23 Nov 2000 14:35:27
Message: <3A1D719F.EDA77634@web.de>
I'm new in POV-Ray and 3D-arts in general. While working with the docs
which came with povray I noticed that when the tutorials was talking
about cubic_patches it adviced to use a program like moray. Since I'm
interested in the whole stuff, including the handcoding I would like
to know more about how to use this w/o any other program.

Thanks a lot,

Post a reply to this message

> I'm new in POV-Ray and 3D-arts in general. While working with the docs
> which came with povray I noticed that when the tutorials was talking
> about cubic_patches it adviced to use a program like moray. Since I'm
> interested in the whole stuff, including the handcoding I would like
> to know more about how to use this w/o any other program.

I'm not using bicubic patches very much and don't know much about them,
but the first paragraph in the docs says most things: 16 control points
define a surface that is approximated with smooth triangles.

IIRC the control points are connected in a regular grid:

+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |
|     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |
|     |     |     |
+-----+-----+-----+
|     |     |     |

The coordinates of the control points are used to form the patch similar
to cubic splines in 2 dimensional space.

furthermore:
http://www-personal.umich.edu/~jeffab/bicubic.html
http://www.icg.informatik.uni-rostock.de/Lehre/CG1/Geo/bezier_pov.html

Christoph