POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Where do I start? Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:22:54 EDT (-0400)
   Where do I start? (Message 10 to 19 of 19)
From: Steve
Subject: Re: Where do I start?
Date: 9 Aug 2000 10:47:57
Message: <slrn8p2qs4.t72.steve@zero-pps.localdomain>
On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:54:36 +0100, 25ct wrote:

>     Thanks Phil. I understand now, so I will unsubscribe to that one.
>     I've now downloaded Pov-ray, and I am slowly picking my way through it.
>It's not something that I am used to at all, but I can see that 3/5 years
>down the line that people will become proficient at it, or less time maybe.
>    Having looked at the entrants to the competition, I am even more
>interested in it. I usually mess around with PS 5, and come up with some
>quite good pics, but this Pov-ray is a whole new ball game!
>    A couple of quick questions if I may, Phil. I have an error at the start
>of the help section. All of the help is there, it's just that when I go to
>the next stages, this error message always pops up, do I go back to the
>Pov-ray website, and e-mail them about it?
>   Lastly, and this no slur on the team at Pov-ray,(I'm sure they do a great
>job), do you think that the prizes for the competition could be up-graded so
>as to attract more entrants? I'm just thinking that there are, say for
>example, surfing competitions that pay out quite a lot of money to the
>winner.  It just seems that a lot of work goes into these images, ref: the
>pearl harbour one, that must have taken ages.(It's brilliant as well!)
>   Just a thought.
>                                ~25ct~

Have a look at old messages in povray.general, I think there's
something about error messages when opening the help file.

When I vote on the IRTC it takes me roughly 40 minutes to investigate,
consider and comment on a good image, some images only take 5 minutes,
but at say 40 minutes per image, at 100 images (about average), hey
that's 66 hours work.  I read very slowly, and sometimes rerender the
images of entrants so that I can advise them on possible improvements
this can involve building macros and while loops where the entrant has
declared the same complicated object 100 times in their scene file
etc.  Sometimes I need to go on the net to research the capabilities
of the renderer or tools that an entrant has used.

I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from entering the IRTC, but I also
wouldn't want to see a doubling of entrants per round, that'd lead to a
dilution in both the quality of the images entered and the quality of
the voting aswell.

--
Cheers
Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet

web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/

or  http://start.at/zero-pps

  3:10pm  up 25 days, 13:37,  2 users,  load average: 1.65, 1.86, 1.99

Post a reply to this message

"Steve" <ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet> wrote in message
news:slr### [at] zero-ppslocaldomain...
> On Wed, 9 Aug 2000 12:54:36 +0100, 25ct wrote:
> >
> >     Thanks Phil. I understand now, so I will unsubscribe to that one.
> >     I've now downloaded Pov-ray, and I am slowly picking my way through
it.
> >It's not something that I am used to at all, but I can see that 3/5 years
> >down the line that people will become proficient at it, or less time
maybe.
> >    Having looked at the entrants to the competition, I am even more
> >interested in it. I usually mess around with PS 5, and come up with some
> >quite good pics, but this Pov-ray is a whole new ball game!
> >    A couple of quick questions if I may, Phil. I have an error at the
start
> >of the help section. All of the help is there, it's just that when I go
> >the next stages, this error message always pops up, do I go back to the
> >Pov-ray website, and e-mail them about it?
> >   Lastly, and this no slur on the team at Pov-ray,(I'm sure they do a
great
> >job), do you think that the prizes for the competition could be up-graded
so
> >as to attract more entrants? I'm just thinking that there are, say for
> >example, surfing competitions that pay out quite a lot of money to the
> >winner.  It just seems that a lot of work goes into these images, ref:
the
> >pearl harbour one, that must have taken ages.(It's brilliant as well!)
> >   Just a thought.
> >                                ~25ct~
>

> Have a look at old messages in povray.general, I think there's
> something about error messages when opening the help file.
>
> When I vote on the IRTC it takes me roughly 40 minutes to investigate,
> consider and comment on a good image, some images only take 5 minutes,
> but at say 40 minutes per image, at 100 images (about average), hey
> that's 66 hours work.  I read very slowly, and sometimes rerender the
> images of entrants so that I can advise them on possible improvements
> this can involve building macros and while loops where the entrant has
> declared the same complicated object 100 times in their scene file
> etc.  Sometimes I need to go on the net to research the capabilities
> of the renderer or tools that an entrant has used.
>
> I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from entering the IRTC, but I also
> wouldn't want to see a doubling of entrants per round, that'd lead to a
> dilution in both the quality of the images entered and the quality of
> the voting aswell.
>
> --
> Cheers
> Steve              email mailto:ste### [at] zeroppsuklinuxnet
>
> %HAV-A-NICEDAY Error not enough coffee  0 pps.
>
> web http://www.zeropps.uklinux.net/
>
> or  http://start.at/zero-pps
>
>   3:10pm  up 25 days, 13:37,  2 users,  load average: 1.65, 1.86, 1.99

       Thanks Ron and Steve,

     I completely understand now.  I've had a look at pov.bin.images, so I
can understand what you are saying Steve.  I think that all the images in
there are great. I quite liked the 'crappy' eye one. I'm not too sure if
this is a 'nice' term or not, though!  :o)
    I'm definately looking forward to the day that I can post one up, to see
what you all think of it. I have the imagination and the artistic skills
generally,  but it seems I have a lot to learn before I even get that far.
    Thanks for your time.

                           ~Steve~

Post a reply to this message