POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Confining an object to within an sPatch object Server Time
6 Sep 2024 00:23:03 EDT (-0400)
  Confining an object to within an sPatch object (Message 21 to 27 of 27)
From: David Wilkinson
Subject: Re: Confining an object to within an sPatch object
Date: 30 Jan 2000 11:47:54
Message: <7lq89ssa5ac60f3hrvir558mb5uf7p7as0@4ax.com>

>> On Sun, 23 Jan 2000 22:51:53 -0500, "The \"D\"" <the### [at] netzeronet> wrote:
>> If your basin is circular you could use the bottle macro I posted on 21 Dec 99 in
>> povray.binaries.scene-files.  This has a macro for the liquid that keeps it within
the
>> bottle.
>
>The basin is a union of splines that looks like the bottom half of a sphere (sorta)
with an upside down hollow cone in it. Would the bottle macro work in that case?

It would need a bit of work on it to handle the cone. As the macro uses Bezier splines
it
could be modified to handle any shape. Problem is - is it worth the trouble for just
one
special case?
----------------------------
dav### [at] cwcomnet
http://www.hamiltonite.mcmail.com
----------------------------

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 30 Jan 2000 11:51:20
Message: <38946BEF.BD4E2B85@pacbell.net>
David Wilkinson wrote:

> It would need a bit of work on it to handle the cone. As the macro uses Bezier
> splines it could be modified to handle any shape. Problem is - is it worth the
> trouble for just one special case?

Question is does it matter. So the basin has a cone in it. So what !
As long as the cone is not transparent you could run a surface right
through it an no one would ever know.

From: David Wilkinson
Date: 30 Jan 2000 12:29:58
Message: <d9t89sg6d32131lso6hrik60ch46ntlhdp@4ax.com>
On Sun, 30 Jan 2000 08:50:55 -0800, Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

>David Wilkinson wrote:
>
>> It would need a bit of work on it to handle the cone. As the macro uses Bezier
>> splines it could be modified to handle any shape. Problem is - is it worth the
>> trouble for just one special case?
>
>Question is does it matter. So the basin has a cone in it. So what !
>As long as the cone is not transparent you could run a surface right
>through it an no one would ever know.

Thats right.
----------------------------

From: Peter Popov
Date: 30 Jan 2000 18:02:16
Message: <2bKUOAzyg8pGs4brFIeHX7l8mRmd@4ax.com>

>> On Wed, 26 Jan 2000 11:07:50 +1000, "Chris Colefax"
>> <cco### [at] geocitiescom> wrote:
>> I think a disc *might* work with light fading because after the ray
>> hits it it never leaves and POV may be tricked into thinking it's
>> inside the disc. Didn't someone have a problem with transparent discs
>> and media recently?
>
>Ok I'll look into that. Would the light fading need to be a global setting or for the
disc.

The disc. I haven't tested this, it's just an idea.

Peter Popov
pet### [at] usanet
ICQ: 15002700

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Date: 31 Jan 2000 12:58:43
Message: <3895CE0C.525543C5@peak.edu.ee>
Ken wrote:

> Question is does it matter. So the basin has a cone in it. So what !
> As long as the cone is not transparent you could run a surface right
> through it an no one would ever know.

But YOU would know!
And it would bother you, and you would lay awake at night, hesitant, nervous...

Margus

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 31 Jan 2000 13:03:51
Message: <3895CE7F.DC59F150@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> Ken wrote:
> >
> > Question is does it matter. So the basin has a cone in it. So what !
> > As long as the cone is not transparent you could run a surface right
> > through it an no one would ever know.
> >

> But YOU would know!
> And it would bother you, and you would lay awake at night, hesitant, nervous...
>
> Margus

Oh NO ! Not ME ! I would sleep better at night knowing that I did not
needlessly waste my time on something that didn't need it.

From: The "D"
Date: 7 Feb 2000 21:52:57
Message: <389f8509@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in message
> Question is does it matter. So the basin has a cone in it. So what !
> As long as the cone is not transparent you could run a surface right
> through it an no one would ever know.

You know I never thought about that.