POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image_map for png, tga, bmp Server Time
5 Sep 2024 16:20:56 EDT (-0400)
  image_map for png, tga, bmp (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jerome Waters
Subject: image_map for png, tga, bmp
Date: 6 Dec 1999 16:51:56
Message: <384D11AD.EAD5358@mscsoftware.com>
For the "gif" format, the image_map feature "transmit/filter all 1.0"
seems to work as expected.  But for "png", "tga", and "bmp" formats such
is not the case.  Is there a bug in the "transmit/filter" feature for
"png", "tga", and "bmp" or is there something I'm missing.

I'd really prefer to use a format other than "gif" that supports a
greater number of colors.

- Jerome

Post a reply to this message

> For the "gif" format, the image_map feature "transmit/filter all 1.0"
> seems to work as expected.  But for "png", "tga", and "bmp" formats such
> is not the case.  Is there a bug in the "transmit/filter" feature for
> "png", "tga", and "bmp" or is there something I'm missing.
>
> I'd really prefer to use a format other than "gif" that supports a
> greater number of colors.
>
> - Jerome

It is not a bug. The filter and transmit all only works on images that have
an 8 bit 256 color palette. I think you can save your .bmp, tga or whatever
in 8 bit 256 colors and use those image formats but you lose the color depth
you are looking for.

> It is not a bug. The filter and transmit all only works on images that have
> an 8 bit 256 color palette. I think you can save your .bmp, tga or whatever
> in 8 bit 256 colors and use those image formats but you lose the color depth
> you are looking for.

Oh well, thanks Ken.

- Jerome

Post a reply to this message

.png files can use an alpha channel as well, so you can control the
transparency with a graphic editor that doesn't relate to the main image.

--

Josh English
eng### [at] spiritonecom