POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : RIB-files Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:20:02 EDT (-0400)
  RIB-files (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: christof schuler
Subject: RIB-files
Date: 18 Oct 1999 02:11:04
Message: <380AB9B7.915CB146@t-online.de>
Hy,
I'm not very experienced with povray up to now, but I try to make
pictures from results of numerical fluid dynamics calculations. For
this, I can get a package that makes RIB-files. Can I use them in povray
for producing photorealistic pictures or where do I find a
converting-program ?

christof

Post a reply to this message

> I'm not very experienced with povray up to now, but I try to make
> pictures from results of numerical fluid dynamics calculations. For
> this, I can get a package that makes RIB-files. Can I use them in povray
> for producing photorealistic pictures or where do I find a
> converting-program ?
>
> christof

  The only RIB 2 Pov conversion tool I know of is an old PERL script.
You will need to have PERL installed to run it and it certainly has
it's limitations.

You can find it here:
http://www.ccp14.ac.uk/ccp/ccp14/ftp-mirror/pov-ray/pub2/pov-ray/text/pov/

--
Ken Tyler -  1100+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:

> I'm not very experienced with povray up to now, but I try to make
> pictures from results of numerical fluid dynamics calculations. For
> this, I can get a package that makes RIB-files. Can I use them in povray
> for producing photorealistic pictures or where do I find a
> converting-program ?
>
> christof

Try Lillysoft at http://member.nifty.ne.jp/lilysoft/ they have programs for
both Mac and Intel.  Perhaps they can help. The Lilly 8 program can convert
RIB to POV-Ray format ( I have not tried this yet ).

earl

Post a reply to this message

Did you know that the ray tracer BMRT uses *.rib files
as its native input? I admit that it seems far more difficult
to use than POV, but it needs no conversion. It is free
and can be found at www.bmrt.org