POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Meshes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Meshes (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Peter Cracknell
Subject: Meshes
Date: 3 Oct 1999 10:09:49
Message: <37f763ad@news.povray.org>
I've been using POV a little while now and I'm getting through all the
things possible.  I've learnt most of the code understood lighting and
cameras and got a bit on animation.  Moray is quite easy too, only things
left media and meshes/bicubic patches etc.  I've been playing with Chris
Colefex's hair, which I must say is amazing, there are so many options and
it is by far the best around that I have seen.  Though it uses meshes, and
I've been using the sphere that came with it.  Is there anyway to convert
blobs to meshes?  This would be absolutely ideal as otherwise I'm gonna have
to redo the blobs using the sphere PCM file that came with it and that would
make it really slow.  Basically any help/links or info on meshes and an
answer to my question would be very highly appreciated to help me out.
Thanks

P3TE

--
www.p3te.freeuk.com

Post a reply to this message

What on earth were you doing playing with Chris Colefex's hair?!  Keep your
hands to yourself, boy! :)

--
This message brought to you by:
-=< Ian (the### [at] hotmailcom >=-

Please visit my site at http://spectere2000.cjb.net! :)

Peter Cracknell <pc### [at] lineonenet> wrote in message
> I've been using POV a little while now and I'm getting through all the
> things possible.  I've learnt most of the code understood lighting and
> cameras and got a bit on animation.  Moray is quite easy too, only things
> left media and meshes/bicubic patches etc.  I've been playing with Chris
> Colefex's hair, which I must say is amazing, there are so many options and
> it is by far the best around that I have seen.  Though it uses meshes, and
> I've been using the sphere that came with it.  Is there anyway to convert
> blobs to meshes?  This would be absolutely ideal as otherwise I'm gonna
have
> to redo the blobs using the sphere PCM file that came with it and that
would
> make it really slow.  Basically any help/links or info on meshes and an
> answer to my question would be very highly appreciated to help me out.
> Thanks
>
> P3TE
>
> --
> www.p3te.freeuk.com

Post a reply to this message

Yeah thanks for that, his hair does have that fresh clean feel, no honestly
an answer would be nice.

P3TE

Ian Burgmyer <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> What on earth were you doing playing with Chris Colefex's hair?!  Keep
your
> hands to yourself, boy! :)
>
> --
> This message brought to you by:
> -=< Ian (the### [at] hotmailcom >=-
>
> Please visit my site at http://spectere2000.cjb.net! :)
>
> Peter Cracknell <pc### [at] lineonenet> wrote in message
> > I've been using POV a little while now and I'm getting through all the
> > things possible.  I've learnt most of the code understood lighting and
> > cameras and got a bit on animation.  Moray is quite easy too, only
things
> > left media and meshes/bicubic patches etc.  I've been playing with Chris
> > Colefex's hair, which I must say is amazing, there are so many options
and
> > it is by far the best around that I have seen.  Though it uses meshes,
and
> > I've been using the sphere that came with it.  Is there anyway to
convert
> > blobs to meshes?  This would be absolutely ideal as otherwise I'm gonna
> have
> > to redo the blobs using the sphere PCM file that came with it and that
> would
> > make it really slow.  Basically any help/links or info on meshes and an
> > answer to my question would be very highly appreciated to help me out.
> > Thanks
> >
> > P3TE
> >
> > --
> > www.p3te.freeuk.com

Post a reply to this message

Heh.  Sorry, I don't really have an answer for this.

Sorry for, how to say. . .decieving you.

--

> Yeah thanks for that, his hair does have that fresh clean feel, no
honestly
> an answer would be nice.
>
> P3TE
>
> Ian Burgmyer <the### [at] hotmailcom> wrote in message
> > What on earth were you doing playing with Chris Colefex's hair?!  Keep
> your
> > hands to yourself, boy! :)
> >
> > --
> > This message brought to you by:
> > -=< Ian (the### [at] hotmailcom >=-
> >
> > Please visit my site at http://spectere2000.cjb.net! :)
> >
> > Peter Cracknell <pc### [at] lineonenet> wrote in message
> > > I've been using POV a little while now and I'm getting through all the
> > > things possible.  I've learnt most of the code understood lighting and
> > > cameras and got a bit on animation.  Moray is quite easy too, only
> things
> > > left media and meshes/bicubic patches etc.  I've been playing with
Chris
> > > Colefex's hair, which I must say is amazing, there are so many options
> and
> > > it is by far the best around that I have seen.  Though it uses meshes,
> and
> > > I've been using the sphere that came with it.  Is there anyway to
> convert
> > > blobs to meshes?  This would be absolutely ideal as otherwise I'm
gonna
> > have
> > > to redo the blobs using the sphere PCM file that came with it and that
> > would
> > > make it really slow.  Basically any help/links or info on meshes and
an
> > > answer to my question would be very highly appreciated to help me out.
> > > Thanks
> > >
> > > P3TE
> > >
> > > --
> > > www.p3te.freeuk.com

Post a reply to this message

I'm clueless about the PCM and mesh stuff, but can't you just enclose the
sphere in a 'blob' statement and add the 'strength' float into the 'sphere'
statement?  If the "sphere' you mention is in actuality a mesh of triangles
or something and you are wanting a "blob" type of shape instead I have no
idea. I'm thinking of individual parts made up of spheres or blobs, in which
case I don't see why it couldn't be done.

Bob

Peter Cracknell <pc### [at] lineonenet> wrote in message
> I've been using POV a little while now and I'm getting through all the
> things possible.  I've learnt most of the code understood lighting and
> cameras and got a bit on animation.  Moray is quite easy too, only things
> left media and meshes/bicubic patches etc.  I've been playing with Chris
> Colefex's hair, which I must say is amazing, there are so many options and
> it is by far the best around that I have seen.  Though it uses meshes, and
> I've been using the sphere that came with it.  Is there anyway to convert
> blobs to meshes?  This would be absolutely ideal as otherwise I'm gonna
have
> to redo the blobs using the sphere PCM file that came with it and that
would
> make it really slow.  Basically any help/links or info on meshes and an
> answer to my question would be very highly appreciated to help me out.
> Thanks
>
> P3TE
>
> --
> www.p3te.freeuk.com

Post a reply to this message

Arne Haglund <arn### [at] tninetse> has done some work on a blob-to-mesh
patch for POV-Ray.  Maybe you can get some code from him.  See message
thread titled "Blob to mesh patch!" in the povray.programming newsgroup.

-Nathan Kopp

Peter Cracknell <pc### [at] lineonenet> wrote in message
> I've been using POV a little while now and I'm getting through all the
> things possible.  I've learnt most of the code understood lighting and
> cameras and got a bit on animation.  Moray is quite easy too, only things
> left media and meshes/bicubic patches etc.  I've been playing with Chris
> Colefex's hair, which I must say is amazing, there are so many options and
> it is by far the best around that I have seen.  Though it uses meshes, and
> I've been using the sphere that came with it.  Is there anyway to convert
> blobs to meshes?  This would be absolutely ideal as otherwise I'm gonna
have
> to redo the blobs using the sphere PCM file that came with it and that
would
> make it really slow.  Basically any help/links or info on meshes and an
> answer to my question would be very highly appreciated to help me out.
> Thanks
>
> P3TE
>
> --
> www.p3te.freeuk.com