POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Meshes : Re: Meshes Server Time
5 Sep 2024 20:19:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Meshes
From: Remco de Korte
Date: 4 Oct 1999 17:32:15
Message: <37F91D19.CE50D52C@xs4all.nl>
Peter Cracknell wrote:

> I'm clueless too funnily enough, I was just hoping there was some way of
> converting a POV scene into one large mesh.  I was thinking, convert the POv
> into a DXF then to a mesh, ie you're actually simplifying things.  No I dont
> think your idea will work sorry, the spheres as a statement are not classed
> with polygons (ie triangles) but as perfect spheres making blobs possible,
> well I think thats it making a mesh not work.  Any ideas?  On whats going on
> here and/or what I am talking about?
>
> P3TE

I was hoping for a way to make meshes out of blobs too, but nothing sofar
(except for the patch Bob already mentioned).
So you're stuck with a bald blob...
Here are two suggestions:
  - If you just want to have the impression of a fur you could try it with a
normal.
  - Since the bear isn't a very complicated object the amount of blobelements in
it will probably be modest. Try if you can create a copy of the bear with the
same elements but now as a CSG (union). You'll probably need to scale down all
elements and perhaps you can leave out some smaller, less important once (or
those at the paws, for bald patches). Now you have a collection of spheres
(perhaps cylinders) which aren't very hard to grow hair on. Put the hairy CSG
inside the blob and the hairs will stick out (you'll have some redundant hair on
the inside).

Good luck,

Remco