POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Merge vs. Union Server Time
5 Sep 2024 18:20:16 EDT (-0400)
  Merge vs. Union (Message 1 to 10 of 27)
From: Ian Burgmyer
Subject: Merge vs. Union
Date: 17 Sep 1999 21:01:48
Message: <37e2e47c@news.povray.org>
What's the difference between merge and union?  I noticed that one (I think
it was merge) took quite a bit longer then the other.

Thanks!
-Ian

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Merge vs. Union
Date: 17 Sep 1999 21:11:18
Message: <37E2E64C.45A876B0@pacbell.net>
Ian Burgmyer wrote:

> What's the difference between merge and union?  I noticed that one (I think
> it was merge) took quite a bit longer then the other.
>
> Thanks!
> -Ian

  There is a major difference between the two. The union is really not
a true CSG operation and could be more accurately described as a group
container. This makes it possible to combine several elements into one
item that can then be translated, rotated, and scaled as if they were
just on object.

  A merge operation on the otherhand is a true CSG operation and has
specific uses. The main feature of a merge operation is that it will
remove the interior surfaces of over lapping objects. This is useful
it you don't want a "cell" effect when over lapping several objects
since the merge operation removes all internal faces. You will in most
cases use this operation only when using clear objects but the are some
special cases where you can use it with solid colored objects as well.
I would have to dig deep to give you an example of the last but would
gladly do so if you are interested.

--
Ken Tyler

See my 1000+ Povray and 3D Rendering and Raytracing Links at:

>   There is a major difference between the two. The union is really not
> a true CSG operation and could be more accurately described as a group
> container. This makes it possible to combine several elements into one
> item that can then be translated, rotated, and scaled as if they were
> just on object.

In other words, just use a group in Moray ;)

>   A merge operation on the otherhand is a true CSG operation and has
> specific uses. The main feature of a merge operation is that it will
> remove the interior surfaces of over lapping objects. This is useful
> it you don't want a "cell" effect when over lapping several objects
> since the merge operation removes all internal faces. You will in most
> cases use this operation only when using clear objects but the are some
> special cases where you can use it with solid colored objects as well.
> I would have to dig deep to give you an example of the last but would
> gladly do so if you are interested.

Yeah, I'm interested!  I'd like to see how the merge operation ticks.

Don't go through too much trouble, though :)

Thanks!
-Ian

Post a reply to this message

> In other words, just use a group in Moray ;)

sigh ! A modeller user.

> >   A merge operation on the otherhand is a true CSG operation and has
> > specific uses. The main feature of a merge operation is that it will
> > remove the interior surfaces of over lapping objects. This is useful
> > it you don't want a "cell" effect when over lapping several objects
> > since the merge operation removes all internal faces. You will in most
> > cases use this operation only when using clear objects but the are some
> > special cases where you can use it with solid colored objects as well.
> > I would have to dig deep to give you an example of the last but would
> > gladly do so if you are interested.
>
> Yeah, I'm interested!  I'd like to see how the merge operation ticks.
>
> Don't go through too much trouble, though :)
>
> Thanks!
> -Ian

Found it. This example is excellent for this thread because it uses both
a union to group together cones with and then uses the merge function in
a non typical usage that clears the inside surfaces. I will leave it as
an experiment to the user to find out why it works. Test in 1 week...

// Super neat geometric shape using the merge function
#declare SnowTex =
  texture {
   pigment { rgb 1 }
     finish {
               crand      0.1
               ambient    0.6
               diffuse    0.2
               specular   1
               roughness  0.001
               brilliance 2
               reflection 0.02
     }
  }

#declare MB =
 union {
        cone { <0,0,0>,1.3,< 0, 1, 0>,-0.25 open}
        cone { <0,0,0>,1.3,< 0,-1, 0>,-0.25 open}
        cone { <0,0,0>,1.3,< 1, 0, 0>,-0.25 open}
        cone { <0,0,0>,1.3,<-1, 0, 0>,-0.25 open}
        cone { <0,0,0>,1.3,< 0, 0, 1>,-0.25 open}
        cone { <0,0,0>,1.3,< 0, 0,-1>,-0.25 open}
 }

#declare Fk =
 merge {
        sphere { <0,0,0>,1.1   }