POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Fluted Columns in POV 3.x Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:12:43 EDT (-0400)
  Fluted Columns in POV 3.x (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Joseph Prever
Subject: Fluted Columns in POV 3.x
Date: 18 Dec 1998 09:06:19
Message: <368E27DB.28B7CE6B@turbont.net>
What is the technique in POV 3.x for making fluted columns (or fluted
anything)?  Or do I need a help app?
Any response will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.

-Joe Prever

Post a reply to this message

From: Andrew Cocker
Subject: Re: Fluted Columns in POV 3.x
Date: 18 Dec 1998 14:18:18
Message: <367aaa7a.0@news.povray.org>
HI Joseph,
    What I would do is use a CSG difference to chop out each of the flutes from your
column. Use an #while...#end loop to control the number of flutes, something like
this:

#declare Flute_Radius=0.25;
#declare Column_Radius=2;
#declare Number_Of_Flutes=20;
#declare Flute=
union {
cylinder { <0,-10,0>,<0,10,0>,Flute_Radius}
sphere { <0,-10,0>,Flute_Radius}
sphere { <0,10,0>,Flute_Radius}
}

#declare Column=
difference {
cylinder { <0,-10.5,0>,<0,10.5,0>,Column_Radius } // Un-fluted column
// Set up a loop
#declare Count=0;
#while ( Count<=Number_Of_Flutes)
object { Flute
translate x*Column_Radius
rotate y*(Count*(360/Number_Of_Flutes))
}
#declare Count=Count+1;
#end
}

object { Column
scale .5
rotate x*45
 texture { pigment {Red} finish {Shiny}}
}

I hope this helps you. Incidentally, the last time I posted any code, half of it went
missing, so I've attatched the code as well.

Andy.

Joseph Prever wrote in message <368E27DB.28B7CE6B@turbont.net>...
>What is the technique in POV 3.x for making fluted columns (or fluted
>anything)?  Or do I need a help app?
>Any response will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.
>
>-Joe Prever

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'Column.pov.txt' (2 KB)

>     What I would do is use a CSG difference to chop out each of the flutes from your
> column. Use an #while...#end loop to control the number of flutes, something like
this:

> #declare Flute_Radius=0.25;
> #declare Column_Radius=2;
> #declare Number_Of_Flutes=20;
> #declare Flute=
> union {
> cylinder { <0,-10,0>,<0,10,0>,Flute_Radius}
> sphere { <0,-10,0>,Flute_Radius}
> sphere { <0,10,0>,Flute_Radius}
> }
>
> #declare Column=
> difference {
> cylinder { <0,-10.5,0>,<0,10.5,0>,Column_Radius } // Un-fluted column
> // Set up a loop
> #declare Count=0;
> #while ( Count<=Number_Of_Flutes)
> object { Flute
> translate x*Column_Radius
> rotate y*(Count*(360/Number_Of_Flutes))
> }
> #declare Count=Count+1;
> #end
> }
>
> object { Column
> scale .5
> rotate x*45
>  texture { pigment {Red} finish {Shiny}}
> }
>
> I hope this helps you. Incidentally, the last time I posted any code, half of it
went
> missing, so I've attatched the code as well.
>
> Andy.
>
> Joseph Prever wrote in message <368E27DB.28B7CE6B@turbont.net>...
> >What is the technique in POV 3.x for making fluted columns (or fluted
> >anything)?  Or do I need a help app?
> >Any response will be greatly appreciated.  Thank you for your time.
> >
> >-Joe Prever

  If the above doesn't work for you and you want to save
some time there is an excellent include file from Nathan
O'Brian that offers 5 different classical style collumns.

http://www.ozemail.com.au/~no13/html/povinc.html

--
 Ken Tyler

 tyl### [at] pacbellnet