POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Modeler for POV/Linux Server Time
6 Sep 2024 08:12:10 EDT (-0400)
  Modeler for POV/Linux (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Daryl Stultz
Subject: Modeler for POV/Linux
Date: 20 Nov 1998 11:50:07
Message: <36559dbf.0@news.povray.org>
Hey, I'm looking for recommendations for a modeling program for
Intel/Linux/POV.

Thanks

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Subject: Re: Modeler for POV/Linux
Date: 24 Nov 1998 06:39:34
Message: <365A9A72.BBFCECF5@pacbell.net>
Daryl Stultz wrote:

> Hey, I'm looking for recommendations for a modeling program for
> Intel/Linux/POV.
>
> Thanks

I have reviewed your request and have found there has not been
enough information provided by you. If you could be a little
more specific about your needs I would be more than happy to
make the neccesary recommendations.

1.) Are you restricted to linux compatible programs or would
    MicroSoft Windows based programs be acceptable ?

2.) Do you need a full scale modeling program or would you
    consider a host of utilities that support Pov-Ray object
    generation ?

3.) What is your current skill level with Pov-Ray ?

4.) What kind of scenes and objects would you like to construct ?

5.) Is precision a concern ?

6.) There are many Pov-Ray compatable .inc files that offer many
    extra features and or will generate objects in pov that are
    not platform specific. Are you interested in these ?

    Please answer this questionnaire in the spaces provided.
    Be sure to type or neatly print your answers. Try to
    answer each question as accuratly as possible. Your
    request will be processed within one working day so
    please be patient. This information will be held in the
    strictest confidence.

    Thank you for choosing us as your #1 information resource.

    Sincerely,

    Ken Tyler
    Senior Administrator
    Customer Service Dept.

Post a reply to this message

>> Hey, I'm looking for recommendations for a modeling program for
>> Intel/Linux/POV.
>>
>> Thanks
>

>I have reviewed your request and have found there has not been
>enough information provided by you. If you could be a little
>more specific about your needs I would be more than happy to
>make the neccesary recommendations.
>
>1.) Are you restricted to linux compatible programs or would
>    MicroSoft Windows based programs be acceptable ?

No MicroSoft, please. I do not run any MS software on my machine.

>2.) Do you need a full scale modeling program or would you
>    consider a host of utilities that support Pov-Ray object
>    generation ?

I would like a "full-scale" modeler, I think.

>3.) What is your current skill level with Pov-Ray ?

Zero.

>4.) What kind of scenes and objects would you like to construct ?

That's a pretty broad question - mostly acrhitectural style sculpture.

>5.) Is precision a concern ?

Usually.

>6.) There are many Pov-Ray compatable .inc files that offer many
>    extra features and or will generate objects in pov that are
>    not platform specific. Are you interested in these ?

Maybe. Not really sure.

I have a good amount of programming experience and I am an avid LightWave
user. I am aware that POV is quite different in nature than LW but I can
handle it. I'm not interested in mathimatically generated models - I do want
to be able to do fre-form modeling.

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

I don't know if they have support for Pov but I grabbed
them off of another news group when I saw the linux header
in the message thread.

Ken Tyler