POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Modeler for POV/Linux : Re: Modeler for POV/Linux Server Time
6 Sep 2024 06:21:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Modeler for POV/Linux
From: Daryl Stultz
Date: 1 Dec 1998 08:40:15
Message: <3663f1bf.0@news.povray.org>
Ken wrote in message <365A9A72.BBFCECF5@pacbell.net>...
>Daryl Stultz wrote:
>
>> Hey, I'm looking for recommendations for a modeling program for
>> Intel/Linux/POV.
>>
>> Thanks
>

>I have reviewed your request and have found there has not been
>enough information provided by you. If you could be a little
>more specific about your needs I would be more than happy to
>make the neccesary recommendations.
>
>1.) Are you restricted to linux compatible programs or would
>    MicroSoft Windows based programs be acceptable ?

No MicroSoft, please. I do not run any MS software on my machine.

>2.) Do you need a full scale modeling program or would you
>    consider a host of utilities that support Pov-Ray object
>    generation ?

I would like a "full-scale" modeler, I think.

>3.) What is your current skill level with Pov-Ray ?

Zero.

>4.) What kind of scenes and objects would you like to construct ?

That's a pretty broad question - mostly acrhitectural style sculpture.

>5.) Is precision a concern ?

Usually.

>6.) There are many Pov-Ray compatable .inc files that offer many
>    extra features and or will generate objects in pov that are
>    not platform specific. Are you interested in these ?

Maybe. Not really sure.

I have a good amount of programming experience and I am an avid LightWave
user. I am aware that POV is quite different in nature than LW but I can
handle it. I'm not interested in mathimatically generated models - I do want
to be able to do fre-form modeling.

Thanks.