POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : AMD K6-2 and PovRay Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:11:40 EDT (-0400)
  AMD K6-2 and PovRay (Message 11 to 16 of 16)
From: Markus Becker
Subject: Re: AMD K6-2 and PovRay
Date: 3 Nov 1998 10:25:42
Message: <363F211A.E5514703@zess.uni-siegen.de>
Ron Parker wrote:

> On Mon, 02 Nov 1998 11:46:46 +0100, Markus Becker
>         <bec### [at] zessuni-siegende> wrote:
> >That's not quite right. It's a SIMD architecture (Single Instruction,
> >Multiple, Data) that is similar to the MMX by Intel. It's right
> >that you can handle several floats at once, but with a limited
> >precision.
>
> So what about what I said is inaccurate?  ISTR that at least the

Not what you said is inaccurate. It's just that I thought the
results of the SIMD calculations would be more inaccurate.

> 2-operand form allows you to work with two 32-bit floats, which
> are equivalent in precision to the floats that are used with, for
> example, colours.  And overriding the colour functions, such as
> adding, scaling, and inverse-scaling colours, might not be such
> a difficult task.  However, again, I don't think one would gain
> much for one's labour.

Right.

Markus

Post a reply to this message

From: Urmas Lipso
Subject: Re: (Off-topic) - was [Re: AMD K6-2 and PovRay]
Date: 4 Nov 1998 11:23:15
Message: <36407F59.7234@online.ee>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> minna.
> (hehe, guess what I just said... I should put this in my signature)

Yeah right... next thing some fellow around South-Kongo Republic or
North-Tscukotka will write something in his language too. Actually,
it suck when you have to guess what someone has said in a message,
OK estonian is too different, but most of European languages have
some legacy from latin, so you sometimes get a clue. Luckily, I read
mostly binary porn NG, so the text doesn't matter :)
I'll probably have some stupid questions about halos soon, so see ya
folks later
		UL

Post a reply to this message

From: Margus Ramst
Date: 4 Nov 1998 15:14:27
Message: <3640B5D9.5F63E17D@peak.edu.ee>
If it's something I want everybody to understand, I'll write it in English. If
not, rest assured that it's not important and you won't miss a thing anyway
(btw. I din't really mean to put this crap in my signature, if that disturbs
you)

I'm sure you insulted all the POV-ers from North-Tscukota now...

Margus

Urmas Lipso wrote:

> Margus Ramst wrote:
> >

> > minna.
> > (hehe, guess what I just said... I should put this in my signature)
> >
> Yeah right... next thing some fellow around South-Kongo Republic or
> North-Tscukotka will write something in his language too. Actually,
> it suck when you have to guess what someone has said in a message,
> OK estonian is too different, but most of European languages have
> some legacy from latin, so you sometimes get a clue. Luckily, I read
> mostly binary porn NG, so the text doesn't matter :)
> I'll probably have some stupid questions about halos soon, so see ya
> folks later
>                 UL

Post a reply to this message

From: Ken
Date: 4 Nov 1998 15:27:53
Message: <3640B88D.735AF235@pacbell.net>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> I'm sure you insulted all the POV-ers from North-Tscukota now...
>
> Margus

Both of them ;)

Ken Tyler

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Galvin
Date: 4 Nov 1998 18:36:23
Message: <3640e4f7.0@news.povray.org>
>I'm sure you insulted all the POV-ers from North-Tscukota now...
>
>Margus

Istha eansma arwa!!!!

Andgra Ubapa
North-Tscukota

Post a reply to this message

From: Urmas Lipso
Date: 7 Nov 1998 11:22:37
Message: <3644739C.574F@online.ee>
Margus Ramst wrote:

> I'm sure you insulted all the POV-ers from North-Tscukota now...

Cool! The percentage of mankind wanting to kill me is ever-growing! :)
BTW, managed to upgrade K6-2 266 to 333, ( hint Margus, its *** cheap
now in Estonia, mail me in case of serious interest ...)
so benchmarked it, skyvase.pov etc. The time was 2.10 - no optimization
top score on single '86 CPU . And what's best, it was running on 32 MB
of slow EDO RAM, 68 MHz, instead of max 112 MHz memory bus speed.
If running on low speed it beats the *** out of older ALPHAS :)
can't dream of it's full  power. Sadly enough, scorched my MB an hour
later, luckily not my fault. Will try guarantee.
So good luck to ya all, try upgrading :)
					UL