POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Stupid newbie Q #453653... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:13:23 EDT (-0400)
  Stupid newbie Q #453653... (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: J B Cattley
Subject: Stupid newbie Q #453653...
Date: 18 Aug 1998 15:51:09
Message: <35d9cd1d.0@news.povray.org>
Ok, I've had POV for three days, and I have one burning question so far:

Do I have to give everything absolute coordinates?

As far as I can see, If I want to create a standard object for multiple use,
like, say, a 1 by 3 unit box, I have to specify exactly where I want it. I
don't seem to be able to just specify the dimensions, and then plonk it down
at a given location.

I suppose I could put everything at <0,0,0> and then translate as necessary,
but this seems kludgy, somehow. I seem to be missing the point, but the help
isn't very clear on this.

Someone show Idjit Boy the light, would they?

Thanks!

jbc

(email CCs would be appreciated.)

Post a reply to this message

> Ok, I've had POV for three days, and I have one burning question so far:
>
> Do I have to give everything absolute coordinates?
>
> As far as I can see, If I want to create a standard object for multiple use,
> like, say, a 1 by 3 unit box, I have to specify exactly where I want it. I
> don't seem to be able to just specify the dimensions, and then plonk it down
> at a given location.
>
> I suppose I could put everything at <0,0,0> and then translate as necessary,
> but this seems kludgy, somehow. I seem to be missing the point, but the help
> isn't very clear on this.
>
> Someone show Idjit Boy the light, would they?
>
> Thanks!
>
> jbc
>
> (email CCs would be appreciated.)

Response to Stupid newbie Q #453653...

  Not all standard pov primatives have to be built at the origin.
Take for example the sphere.

sphere{<-1,1,0>,1}

This will make a sphere located at 1 unit left, 1 unit up and has a size
of 1 unit.

Let's look at another example

cylinder{<-2,10,0>,<2,10,0>,1}

This will make a cylinder stretching left to right 4 units placed 10
units up in the y direction and has a diameter of 1 pov unit.

Let's try a different example for the cylinder.

cylinder{<-2,-1,0>,<2,1,0>,1}

now you have a cylinder that starts on the lower left and goes up to
the right.

You could accomplish the same thing by specifying the cylinder as
I did the first one and then applying a rotate command to it.

I'll give you one more example.

cylinder{<-20,0,0>,<0,0,0>,1}

This will give you a cylinder that starts at 20 units to the left and
stops at center screen. So you see without applying any transformation
the object is not neccessarily constrained to the origin.

Each primitive shape in POV-Ray has it's own unique syntax and it
takes a while to learn. I suggest you take a look at the example files that
came with the POV-Ray package you downloaded. you will find many
different ways of accomplishing the same thing just using different methods..

Need further assistance or what I've said is a complete mystery too you ?
Feel free to ask for more assistance.

K.Tyler

Post a reply to this message