POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : This is kinda complicated... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 12:14:11 EDT (-0400)
  This is kinda complicated... (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Jesse Tetrault
Subject: This is kinda complicated...
Date: 6 Jan 1998 13:44:23
Message: <34B27B87.22C1@bc1.com>
Greetings,

	I'm a 3D artist who is currently working with a piece of Software
called Pixel3D.  Pixel3D is not the best 3D software, but it's not SO
bad...  Recently I have started to find some of the very excellent
images that people have created using POVray and I decided to
investigate POVray as a alternative.

	However there is a problem (isn't there always?).  I'm used to handling
3D meshes in a windows enviroment.  I have a large library of 3D objects
in .3ds and .lwo formats.  I want to keep these objects.  I also want to
be able to render them in POVray.

	As a final problem I don't have a lot of time on my hands these days to
try and learn a new package (such as POVray) from scratch. Sooo...

	Before I start running around and Downloading piles of software I don't
know how to use I have some questions I was hoping I could get answered.

	1) Is it possible to convert .3ds or .lwo (or any other format) meshes
to something usable by POVray AND keep the surface colors and general
attributes?

	2) Is there a windows type POVray interface that would allow me to
manipulate my objects and lay them out visually?

	3) Is there anyway I can make the transition from Pixel3D to POVray
painless?

	Thanks for the help.  If you can answer any or all of these questions,
or want to ask ME some questions please do so BY EMAIL.

	Thanks again!

	-Jesse

NOTE - To send me Email back please remove the SPAMFREE from my Email
address!  Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

You need a converter called Crossroads, But I dont remember the URL. Someone here
will know it though.

Jesse Tetrault wrote:

> Greetings,
>
>         I'm a 3D artist who is currently working with a piece of Software
> called Pixel3D.  Pixel3D is not the best 3D software, but it's not SO
> bad...  Recently I have started to find some of the very excellent
> images that people have created using POVray and I decided to
> investigate POVray as a alternative.
>
>         However there is a problem (isn't there always?).  I'm used to handling
> 3D meshes in a windows enviroment.  I have a large library of 3D objects
> in .3ds and .lwo formats.  I want to keep these objects.  I also want to
> be able to render them in POVray.
>
>         As a final problem I don't have a lot of time on my hands these days to
> try and learn a new package (such as POVray) from scratch. Sooo...
>
>         Before I start running around and Downloading piles of software I don't
> know how to use I have some questions I was hoping I could get answered.
>
>         1) Is it possible to convert .3ds or .lwo (or any other format) meshes
> to something usable by POVray AND keep the surface colors and general
> attributes?
>
>         2) Is there a windows type POVray interface that would allow me to
> manipulate my objects and lay them out visually?
>
>         3) Is there anyway I can make the transition from Pixel3D to POVray
> painless?
>
>         Thanks for the help.  If you can answer any or all of these questions,
> or want to ask ME some questions please do so BY EMAIL.
>
>         Thanks again!
>
>         -Jesse
>
> NOTE - To send me Email back please remove the SPAMFREE from my Email
> address!  Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

>You need a converter called Crossroads, But I dont remember the URL.
Someone here
>will know it though.
>
>Jesse Tetrault wrote:
>
>> Greetings,
>>
>>         I'm a 3D artist who is currently working with a piece of Software
>> called Pixel3D.  Pixel3D is not the best 3D software, but it's not SO
>> bad...  Recently I have started to find some of the very excellent
>> images that people have created using POVray and I decided to
>> investigate POVray as a alternative.
>>
>>         However there is a problem (isn't there always?).  I'm used to
handling
>> 3D meshes in a windows enviroment.  I have a large library of 3D objects
>> in .3ds and .lwo formats.  I want to keep these objects.  I also want to
>> be able to render them in POVray.
>>
>>         As a final problem I don't have a lot of time on my hands these
days to
>> try and learn a new package (such as POVray) from scratch. Sooo...
>>
>>         Before I start running around and Downloading piles of software I
don't
>> know how to use I have some questions I was hoping I could get answered.
>>
>>         1) Is it possible to convert .3ds or .lwo (or any other format)
meshes
>> to something usable by POVray AND keep the surface colors and general
>> attributes?
>>
>>         2) Is there a windows type POVray interface that would allow me
>> manipulate my objects and lay them out visually?
>>
>>         3) Is there anyway I can make the transition from Pixel3D to
POVray
>> painless?
>>
>>         Thanks for the help.  If you can answer any or all of these
questions,
>> or want to ask ME some questions please do so BY EMAIL.
>>
>>         Thanks again!
>>
>>         -Jesse
>>
>> NOTE - To send me Email back please remove the SPAMFREE from my Email
>> address!  Thanks!

Post a reply to this message