POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : This is kinda complicated... : Re: This is kinda complicated... Server Time
6 Sep 2024 14:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This is kinda complicated...
From: Gregor Riepl
Date: 8 Jan 1998 10:30:51
Message: <34B4F12B.92E@rocketmail.com>
Jesse Tetrault wrote:
>         1) Is it possible to convert .3ds or .lwo (or any other format) meshes
> to something usable by POVray AND keep the surface colors and general
> attributes?
>
>         2) Is there a windows type POVray interface that would allow me to
> manipulate my objects and lay them out visually?
>
>         3) Is there anyway I can make the transition from Pixel3D to POVray
> painless?

Yep, just have a look at the <a href=ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray>ftp
server of povray.org</a>.
In the directory <a
href=ftp://ftp.povray.org/pub/povray/modellers>modellers</a> you'll find
some
recent modellers (currently, there's just the Breeze Designer available)
that should support 3DS and let you convert it to other formats.
Or, just load the <a href=http://www.povray.org>POV-Ray homepage</a>
into your browser. There's MUCH
information about POV-Ray, just look around a bit!

To question number three:
If you have enough time to write a converter, there must be a 3DS format
description lying around on my HD anywhere. Just mail me!

Hope my hints will help you...

Bye