POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Need help to measure performance of Povray : Re: Need help to measure performance of Povray Server Time
26 Jul 2024 20:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Need help to measure performance of Povray
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Jul 2019 19:15:00
Message: <web.5d1be4b289b056254eec112d0@news.povray.org>
"Deepak" <dee### [at] iiitbnet> wrote:

> Thanks for your suggestion. I tried changing benchmark.pov and benchmark.ini
> files and observed that render time is increased too much. The application is
> running for hours. Is it expected?

Yes.  Alain was showing you things to do that will increase render time.
You can easily write scenes that would take a week to render.
Search the forums, and you will find posts where people took months or even a
year to let POV-Ray run its course.

So, now that you have a "too fast" example, and a "too slow" example, you can
start to fine tune the code to produce a scene that renders within a desired
time frame.

> Also let me know if any specific option to run/render in parallel on multicore
> system.

POV-Ray has to use a single core to parse (read and "assemble" your scene in
memory) and then should automatically use all available cores to render your
scene.

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Documentation:Tutorial_Section_5.1

"As of version 3.7, SMP systems are fully supported; by default POVWIN will use
all available processing cores when rendering."

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Tracing_Options

Symmetric MultiProcessing
Central to the many feature enhancements offered with version 3.7, POV-Ray now
supports Symmetric MultiProcessing or SMP. The command line option
Work_Threads=n or the +WTn switch allows you to specify the number of work
threads to be used while rendering a scene. On Windows systems, the default is
the number of detected cores. On Linux/Unix and OSX based systems, the default
is first based on the number of detected cores, otherwise, the number of
configured cores. If detection is not possible the default is set to 4. In all
cases the maximum value is 512.