POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : POVRay v3.7.1-beta.8 released Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:45:06 EDT (-0400)
  POVRay v3.7.1-beta.8 released (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: clipka
Subject: POVRay v3.7.1-beta.8 released
Date: 20 May 2017 09:06:15
Message: <59203f47$1@news.povray.org>
Beta 8 is out now:

https://github.com/POV-Ray/povray/releases/tag/v3.7.1-beta.8

This one should fix a lot of the cubic spline sphere sweep artifacts.

The new beta also adds support for the optimized noise generators to the
Unix version. Note that there is some possibility that this might
/reduce/ performance on some machines, so you may want to do a
performance comparison. Depending on your results, we may need to do a
bit more work on this one.

Post a reply to this message

> This one should fix a lot of the cubic spline sphere sweep artifacts.
>
> The new beta also adds support for the optimized noise generators to the
> Unix version. Note that there is some possibility that this might
> /reduce/ performance on some machines, so you may want to do a
> performance comparison. Depending on your results, we may need to do a
> bit more work on this one.

On my I3-4130 two core 4 thread at 3.4GZ, Ubuntu 16.06 and the
--benchmark, I am seeing:

Threads==cores (+wt2) : -6.59%

Threads==threads (+wt4) : -12.40%

In a bit of a surprise to me the new noise code especially helps where
threads > cores.

Most that I have run is faster depending upon how much noise is used.

However, I did find one case running a couple isosurfaces using the
f_hetero_mf function where I am seeing a 3.8% slowdown for +wt4. I've
done no digging. Any ideas as to why this might be so?

Thanks much Christoph for making the speed up available to more than
windows users and AMD, Intel for the base noise code updates.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message