POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11 Server Time
29 Mar 2024 08:22:43 EDT (-0400)
  povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11 (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: lainal
Subject: povray 3.6 on Snow Leopard / X11
Date: 14 Aug 2011 20:25:00
Message: <web.4e4865211f72b142975cc8f30@news.povray.org>
Gents,

For those interested in, I managed to compile povray 3.6 on Mac OS 10.8 since I
didn't found any working version on the Web (PPC distribution is hitting Rosetta
issues). Hereafter the way I went in 7 steps:
0 - Download the source code for Linux / Generic and unarchive
1 - hack all 3 "configure.ac" files to add "foreign" in the parameters of the
macro "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE"  (some GNU distribution mandatory files are missing)
2 - create the configure script with autoreconf -i
3 - edit the top "configure" and add at the 1st active line the following:
      ac_cv_prog_egrep=/usr/bin/egrep
4 - Configure with:
      CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" \
      ./configure COMPILED_BY="<your mail address>" --with-x
5 - make
6 - make install (possibly preceded by su)

I also compiled with X disabled without noticing performance differences, so
better keep it :-)

Example of run:
$ povray ~/Downloads/povray-3.6.1/scenes/advanced/landscape.pov
Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.6.1 (g++ 4.2.1 @
 i686-apple-darwin10.8.0)
This is an unofficial version compiled by:
 dla### [at] yahoocom
 The POV-Ray Team(tm) is not responsible for supporting this version.
[...]
Peak memory used:           6299545 bytes
Total Scene Processing Times
  Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  1 seconds (1 seconds)
  Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
  Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes 15 seconds (15 seconds)
  Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes 16 seconds (16 seconds)

Enjoy!

- Dominique

Post a reply to this message

> For those interested in, I managed to compile povray 3.6 on Mac OS 10.8 since I
> didn't found any working version on the Web (PPC distribution is hitting Rosetta
> issues). Hereafter the way I went in 7 steps:
> 0 - Download the source code for Linux / Generic and unarchive
> 1 - hack all 3 "configure.ac" files to add "foreign" in the parameters of the
> macro "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE"  (some GNU distribution mandatory files are missing)
> 2 - create the configure script with autoreconf -i
> 3 - edit the top "configure" and add at the 1st active line the following:
>       ac_cv_prog_egrep=/usr/bin/egrep
> 4 - Configure with:
>       CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" \
>       ./configure COMPILED_BY="<your mail address>" --with-x
> 5 - make
> 6 - make install (possibly preceded by su)

Dear Dominique,

I too am running OSX Lion and I'm trying to install POVRay. Unfortunately, I'm
quite clueless about Unix, so I'm hoping you (or someone else) can clarify your
instructions. For example, I'm already lost on step 1 (what configure.ac files?)

I would most appreciate it if you could guide me through the installation and
compilation process, on the assumption that I know little about using make files
or unix in general.

Thanks!

Post a reply to this message

> > For those interested in, I managed to compile povray 3.6 on Mac OS 10.8 since I
> > didn't found any working version on the Web (PPC distribution is hitting Rosetta
> > issues). Hereafter the way I went in 7 steps:
> > 0 - Download the source code for Linux / Generic and unarchive
> > 1 - hack all 3 "configure.ac" files to add "foreign" in the parameters of the
> > macro "AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE"  (some GNU distribution mandatory files are missing)
> > 2 - create the configure script with autoreconf -i
> > 3 - edit the top "configure" and add at the 1st active line the following:
> >       ac_cv_prog_egrep=/usr/bin/egrep
> > 4 - Configure with:
> >       CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" \
> >       ./configure COMPILED_BY="<your mail address>" --with-x
> > 5 - make
> > 6 - make install (possibly preceded by su)
> >

> Dear Dominique,
>
> I too am running OSX Lion and I'm trying to install POVRay. Unfortunately, I'm
> quite clueless about Unix, so I'm hoping you (or someone else) can clarify your
> instructions. For example, I'm already lost on step 1 (what configure.ac files?)
>
> I would most appreciate it if you could guide me through the installation and
> compilation process, on the assumption that I know little about using make files
> or unix in general.
>
> Thanks!

OK. I was a little too quick I guess. Sorry for that. The distrib to download is
at this location:
http://www.povray.org/redirect/www.povray.org/ftp/pub/povray/Official/Unix/povray-3.6.tar.bz2

I guess it will go in Download. Then you open a terminal, go to this directory.

1. Unarchive: "tar xjf povray-3.6.tar.bz2" and go to the source directory
(povray-3.6.1).

2. There are three "configure.ac" files in the sources tree:
......./configure.ac
......./libraries/png/configure.ac
......./libraries/zlib/configure.ac
You have to edit them, find the AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE macros. It should look like:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([1.7 ...])

You have to add "foreign". Then it should look like:

AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign 1.7 ...])

This for all three files.

3. Then from the top source directory (povray-3.6.1 currently), you type
"autoreconf -i" and you wait a little bit. After a while, there's a "configure"
script which has been created. You have to edit it and add the line as
explained. For me, after adding the line, it looks like:

## --------------------- ##
## M4sh Initialization.  ##

ac_cv_prog_egrep=/usr/bin/egrep

# Be more Bourne compatible

4. The rest is straightforward. Still from the top source directory, you type:

CFLAGS="-m32" CXXFLAGS="-m32" ./configure COMPILED_BY="email" --with-x

Then you type "make" and you wait for a while.

If no errors occur, then "make install" and that's it.

Happy install !

- Dominique

Post a reply to this message