POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Crash on render Server Time
26 Apr 2024 14:33:46 EDT (-0400)
  Crash on render (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Leo
Subject: Crash on render
Date: 26 Nov 2003 07:15:01
Message: <web.3fc498ab8e37bcd0a2b418110@news.povray.org>
Hi, I'm a brand new user (as of about half an hour ago). I've been trying to
follow the basic tutorial but POV crashes without fail every time I try to
render something, right after rendering it. The render displays, a PICT
file gets written to the disk and then the program just hangs.

Is there any reason for / way around this? It's intensely annoying.

OS X 10.2.6
POV-Ray 3.5.1

This is the script from the tutorial if that helps at all:

<code>#include "colors.inc"
#include "stones.inc"

camera {
 location <0, 2, -3>
 look_at <0, 1, 2>
}

sphere {
 <0, 1, 2>, 2
 texture {
  pigment { color Red }
 }
}

light_source { <2, 4, -3> color White}</code>

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I'm a brand new user (as of about half an hour ago). I've been trying to
> follow the basic tutorial but POV crashes without fail every time I try to
> render something, right after rendering it. The render displays, a PICT
> file gets written to the disk and then the program just hangs.

Does it work when you output to a different format, say PNG?

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I'm a brand new user (as of about half an hour ago). I've been trying to
> follow the basic tutorial but POV crashes without fail every time I try to
> render something, right after rendering it. The render displays, a PICT
> file gets written to the disk and then the program just hangs.

What version are you using? Many people, including me (but apparently not
Thorsten, who's developing it), have had problems with the release 3.5
(build 173). The newer 3.5.1 public beta (build 187) works much better.
Get it from http://mac.povray.org/download/macosx102.html

 -Christian

Post a reply to this message

> Is there any reason for / way around this? It's intensely annoying.

It doesn't crash here.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

In article <pan### [at] gmxch> , Christian Walther
<cwa### [at] gmxch>  wrote:

> What version are you using? Many people, including me (but apparently not
> Thorsten, who's developing it), have had problems with the release 3.5
> (build 173). The newer 3.5.1 public beta (build 187) works much better.
> Get it from http://mac.povray.org/download/macosx102.html

He said he is using 3.5.1, and the only one he can run is the one on the
website you mention because the previous 3.5.1 beta expired long ago...