POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : 3.5.1 PRC 1 (0181) not launching on 10.2.4 Server Time
26 Apr 2024 23:41:23 EDT (-0400)
  3.5.1 PRC 1 (0181) not launching on 10.2.4 (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Charles Albrecht
Subject: 3.5.1 PRC 1 (0181) not launching on 10.2.4
Date: 5 Mar 2003 18:36:17
Message: <charlesa-00CF6F.16361705032003@netplex.aussie.org>
I downloaded the new POV-Ray 3.5.1 Public Release Candidate 1 (build
0181), but it won't finish launching. I've sent in a bug report, but I
thought I'd ask here in case anyone had a workaround that would allow
build 181 to finish launching.

At the end of the launch proceses as it beings to load the POVMSLib
(Initializing POV-Ray Library), POV-Ray produces a dialog which claims:

  This install of POV-Ray is incomplete or damaged. You have to
  reinstall POV-Ray.

  Some files required to run POV-Ray are missing. You should not
  move or remove parts inside the POV-Ray folder.

Which, clearly, I haven't - it being a fresh download and all.

This behavior occurs whether I double click the alias or the application
itself. And it occurs whether I drag a file to the alias/application
icon or double click a file that's been associated to POV-Ray.

At first blush, I would assume that there is a problem with the
download, but since I haven't seen any reports here of problems with the
download, it seems more likely that the issue is mine.

And yet there is altogether nothing particular odd about my installation
(with Dec 2003 Dev Tools) other than the fact I have /Users mounted on a
different volume than /. I can't imagine that would make much difference
in the launch process when compared to the released 3.5 build 0173.

Launching in Classic leads directly to a crash without any error dialog
as it finishes (appearances only - it's at about the same point in the
process that, from using 3.5 the last few weeks, I'd expect POV-Ray to
dismiss the splash screen) initializing the POV-Ray Library.

Any suggestions?

-Charles
 Euonymic Soltuions

Post a reply to this message

>I downloaded the new POV-Ray 3.5.1 Public Release Candidate 1 (build
>0181), but it won't finish launching. I've sent in a bug report, but I
>thought I'd ask here in case anyone had a workaround that would allow
>build 181 to finish launching.
>
>At the end of the launch proceses as it beings to load the POVMSLib
>(Initializing POV-Ray Library), POV-Ray produces a dialog which claims:
>
>  This install of POV-Ray is incomplete or damaged. You have to
>  reinstall POV-Ray.
>
>  Some files required to run POV-Ray are missing. You should not
>  move or remove parts inside the POV-Ray folder.
>
>Which, clearly, I haven't - it being a fresh download and all.

[snip]

>And yet there is altogether nothing particular odd about my installation
>(with Dec 2003 Dev Tools) other than the fact I have /Users mounted on a

I think you're a little ahead of the rest of us on that score ;-)

>different volume than /. I can't imagine that would make much difference
>in the launch process when compared to the released 3.5 build 0173.

delete POV-Ray's preferences from ~/Library/Preferences/

[This fixed the same problem for me...]

>Launching in Classic leads directly to a crash without any error dialog

No suggestion for that, as I haven't had much time for POV-Ray of late, and
even less for classic...

[snip]

Have Fun
Martin

Post a reply to this message

 "Martin Crisp" <spa### [at] tesseractcomau> wrote:

>Charles Albrecht wrote:
>>
>>At the end of the launch proceses as it beings to load the POVMSLib
>>(Initializing POV-Ray Library), POV-Ray produces a dialog which claims:
>>
>>  This install of POV-Ray is incomplete or damaged. You have to
>>  reinstall POV-Ray.
>>
>>  Some files required to run POV-Ray are missing. You should not
>>  move or remove parts inside the POV-Ray folder.
>>
>>Which, clearly, I haven't - it being a fresh download and all.
>
>delete POV-Ray's preferences from ~/Library/Preferences/
>
>[This fixed the same problem for me...]

No luck on this end. It does, however, seem to get just a little bit
further into the "Initializing POV-Ray Library" process before
displaying the alert briefly and then crashing with:

Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xf02afba0

Thread 0 Crashed:
 #0   0x902b7e38 in _MP_RemoteCallback
 #1   0x901632f0 in __CFRunLoopDoTimer
 #2   0x90148e48 in __CFRunLoopRun
 #3   0x90180fe4 in CFRunLoopRunSpecific
 #4   0x969a3160 in RunCurrentEventLoopInMode
 #5   0x969a37e4 in GetNextEventMatchingMask
 #6   0x969a7664 in WNEInternal
 #7   0x969ad528 in WaitNextEvent
 #8   0x96a23edc in ModalDialog
 #9   0x96ad5328 in RunStandardAlert
 #10  0x96b20f50 in StandardAlert
 #11  0x0025162c in SimpleStandardAlert(short, unsigned char *, unsigned
char *)
 #12  0x001a3e4c in main

Which seems - on the whole - unrelated to the "something seems out of
place with your install," error.

>>(with Dec 2003 Dev Tools) other than the fact I have /Users mounted on a
>
>I think you're a little ahead of the rest of us on that score ;-)

Heh. Just when you get used to typing one year, it turns out to be the
wrong one. :)

-C

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 6 Mar 2003 17:41:10 +1100, Charles Albrecht wrote
(in message <cha### [at] netplexaussieorg>):

> In article <web.3e66b7d8ac5b620e50812eff0@news.povray.org>,
>  "Martin Crisp" <spa### [at] tesseractcomau> wrote:
>
>> Charles Albrecht wrote:

[...]

>>> Which, clearly, I haven't - it being a fresh download and all.
>>
>> delete POV-Ray's preferences from ~/Library/Preferences/

<worried I should have been more explicit>
I meant the /Library/Preferences/ in your home directory.

>> [This fixed the same problem for me...]
>
> No luck on this end. It does, however, seem to get just a little bit
> further into the "Initializing POV-Ray Library" process before
> displaying the alert briefly and then crashing with:
>
> Exception:  EXC_BAD_ACCESS (0x0001)
> Codes:      KERN_INVALID_ADDRESS (0x0001) at 0xf02afba0

eeek! Sorry, can't help you there.
[snip]

> Which seems - on the whole - unrelated to the "something seems out of
> place with your install," error.

Now you have me worried my brevity has killed your install more :-(

>>> (with Dec 2003 Dev Tools) other than the fact I have /Users mounted on a
>>
>> I think you're a little ahead of the rest of us on that score ;-)
>
> Heh. Just when you get used to typing one year, it turns out to be the
> wrong one. :)

That's how I feel about the movement for 'connect' for my dialup in
the OS 9 -> X shift.

Have Fun
Martin
--
Kinky:
What I do that you wouldn't

Almost always SMASHed

Post a reply to this message

In article <cha### [at] netplexaussieorg> , Charles
Albrecht <cha### [at] poboxcom>  wrote:

> I downloaded the new POV-Ray 3.5.1 Public Release Candidate 1 (build
> 0181), but it won't finish launching. I've sent in a bug report, but I
> thought I'd ask here in case anyone had a workaround that would allow
> build 181 to finish launching.

Do you have Mac with a G3 or G4?

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

 "Thorsten Froehlich" <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:

> In article <cha### [at] netplexaussieorg> , Charles
> Albrecht <cha### [at] poboxcom>  wrote:
>
> > I downloaded the new POV-Ray 3.5.1 Public Release Candidate 1 (build
> > 0181), but it won't finish launching. I've sent in a bug report, but I
> > thought I'd ask here in case anyone had a workaround that would allow
> > build 181 to finish launching.
>
> Do you have Mac with a G3 or G4?

Wallstreet (1998, Rev 2 aka PDQ) PowerBook G3/300.

-C

Post a reply to this message