POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : 3.5.1 PRC 1 (0181) not launching on 10.2.4 : 3.5.1 PRC 1 (0181) not launching on 10.2.4 Server Time
8 May 2024 02:07:51 EDT (-0400)
  3.5.1 PRC 1 (0181) not launching on 10.2.4
From: Charles Albrecht
Date: 5 Mar 2003 18:36:17
Message: <charlesa-00CF6F.16361705032003@netplex.aussie.org>
I downloaded the new POV-Ray 3.5.1 Public Release Candidate 1 (build
0181), but it won't finish launching. I've sent in a bug report, but I
thought I'd ask here in case anyone had a workaround that would allow
build 181 to finish launching.

At the end of the launch proceses as it beings to load the POVMSLib
(Initializing POV-Ray Library), POV-Ray produces a dialog which claims:

  This install of POV-Ray is incomplete or damaged. You have to
  reinstall POV-Ray.

  Some files required to run POV-Ray are missing. You should not
  move or remove parts inside the POV-Ray folder.

Which, clearly, I haven't - it being a fresh download and all.

This behavior occurs whether I double click the alias or the application
itself. And it occurs whether I drag a file to the alias/application
icon or double click a file that's been associated to POV-Ray.

At first blush, I would assume that there is a problem with the
download, but since I haven't seen any reports here of problems with the
download, it seems more likely that the issue is mine.

And yet there is altogether nothing particular odd about my installation
(with Dec 2003 Dev Tools) other than the fact I have /Users mounted on a
different volume than /. I can't imagine that would make much difference
in the launch process when compared to the released 3.5 build 0173.

Launching in Classic leads directly to a crash without any error dialog
as it finishes (appearances only - it's at about the same point in the
process that, from using 3.5 the last few weeks, I'd expect POV-Ray to
dismiss the splash screen) initializing the POV-Ray Library.

Any suggestions?

-Charles
 Euonymic Soltuions