POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : New to Macintosh - how to install? Server Time
15 Apr 2024 15:15:02 EDT (-0400)
  New to Macintosh - how to install? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: Alessio R Sangalli
Subject: New to Macintosh - how to install?
Date: 7 Sep 2023 11:30:48
Message: <64f9eca8$1@news.povray.org>
Hello, I am a new APPLE user. I have found, thanks to a link provided in 
this newsgroup, the website https://povrayunofficial.wordpress.com

I have a brand new computer and I wanted to install the POV-ray. I got 
the two zip files, but I have no idea where to unpack them for proper 
installation. I know how to do it in Linux but for MAC I am very hesitant.

Thank you for any clarification you might give me.


Post a reply to this message

From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Re: New to Macintosh - how to install?
Date: 8 Sep 2023 03:15:53
Message: <64faca29$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/09/2023 17:30, Alessio R Sangalli wrote:
> Hello, I am a new APPLE user. I have found, thanks to a link provided in 
> this newsgroup, the website https://povrayunofficial.wordpress.com
> 
> I have a brand new computer and I wanted to install the POV-ray. I got 
> the two zip files, but I have no idea where to unpack them for proper 
> installation. I know how to do it in Linux but for MAC I am very hesitant.
> 
> Thank you for any clarification you might give me.
> 

Hello,

So I think you downloaded these two files :
- PovRay3.7.0.9-universal app.zip
- PovRay3.7.0.9-universal-Scenes-IncludeFiles-Docs.zip

Double-clic this two zip file give you to folders :
- PovRay3.7.0.9-universal app
- PovRay3.7.0.9-universal-Scenes-IncludeFiles-Docs


Folder "PovRay3.7.0.9-universal app" contains the main
application with a few files to read once.

Folder "PovRay3.7.0.9-universal-Scenes-IncludeFiles-Docs" contains
doc, include, ini, scenes... which you can copy into the application
folder (yes, you can ignore duplicates). All utils files/folders in the
same folder.


You can now move these folder anywhere on your disk.

Run "POVRay 3.7.0.x.app" (double-clic), go to "Preferences"
and adjust "System Include Paths" according to your installation location.


Have fun with POV ;)

-- 
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise


Post a reply to this message

From: Alessio R Sangalli
Subject: Re: New to Macintosh - how to install?
Date: 8 Sep 2023 12:54:45
Message: <64fb51d5$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/8/23 12:15 AM, kurtz le pirate wrote:


> You can now move these folder anywhere on your disk.
> 
> Run "POVRay 3.7.0.x.app" (double-clic), go to "Preferences"
> and adjust "System Include Paths" according to your installation location.


OK I did it, thanks for the instructions, I would have never been able 
to figure it out by myself. Under Linux it's so much more... automated 
maybe? All these manual steps are pretty confusing to me, may I suggest 
the author of this port, whose work I really appreciate, to add some 
installation instructions for the next people? So far in my limited 
experience with MAC, most applications show an icon to drag in order to 
install and that's it.

The next step I wanted to inquire about, I am not sure how to call 
pov-ray from the command line. I typically build scenes that use a 
Makefile to render sections according to dependencies, and under Linux I 
just call the rendering engine that is in the PATH. Do I just have to 
add the /Applications/PovRay... to the system PATH?


Thank you


Post a reply to this message

From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Re: New to Macintosh - how to install?
Date: 9 Sep 2023 03:04:21
Message: <64fc18f5$1@news.povray.org>
On 08/09/2023 18:54, Alessio R Sangalli wrote:

> 
> The next step I wanted to inquire about, I am not sure how to call 
> pov-ray from the command line. I typically build scenes that use a 
> Makefile to render sections according to dependencies, and under Linux I 
> just call the rendering engine that is in the PATH. Do I just have to 
> add the /Applications/PovRay... to the system PATH?
> 

... not quite.
What you have installed is the "standard" GUI version.

For command line, you have to use another version named "Command line
POV-Ray 3.7.0 final" that you can find here:
<http://megapov.inetart.net/povrayunofficial_mac/finalpov.html>


-- 
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise


Post a reply to this message

From: Alessio R Sangalli
Subject: Re: New to Macintosh - how to install?
Date: 11 Sep 2023 17:58:29
Message: <64ff8d85$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/9/23 12:04 AM, kurtz le pirate wrote:

> ... not quite.
> What you have installed is the "standard" GUI version.
> 
> For command line, you have to use another version named "Command line
> POV-Ray 3.7.0 final" that you can find here:
> <http://megapov.inetart.net/povrayunofficial_mac/finalpov.html>

Hmmm unfortunately that seems to be an "INTEL" version only, and the 
machine I am using is - ARM. It still works though, and it does not seem 
to be slower than the one I downloaded from 
https://povrayunofficial.wordpress.com

What a mystery. At least with the version from 
http://megapov.inetart.net I do not have to fumble with the zip files, 
copy one inside another, it just works out of the box.

Thank you


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.