POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : POV-Ray v3.8 backing up a bit Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:12:00 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray v3.8 backing up a bit (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: clipka
Subject: POV-Ray v3.8 backing up a bit
Date: 10 Jun 2021 05:47:02
Message: <60c1df96$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

this is a heads-up for all of you who are faithfully working on
derivatives of POV-Ray - be it qtpovray, the mac port, or what-have-you.

We're currently preparing to enter the beta phase of POV-Ray v3.8;
however, in order to do so, we will _not_ continue from the current
master, but rather back up a bit, to the last commit before we
integrated the overhauled tokenizer/scanner into the parser. To help you
more easily find that commit in question (85db57d9), we've tagged it as:

     `nexus-v3.8-v4.0`

Also, v3.8 development will _not_ continue in the `master` branch, but
rather a dedicated branch, `release/v3.8.0` (which already exists and is
currently ahead of The Nexus, but will be backed up and branch off soon).

Note that besides reverting to the old parser, this will also revert
back to the use of the boost-thread and boost-system libraries.

We recommend that you _do_ keep all the work you've done since The
Nexus, as the current state of v3.8 will live on under the moniker v4.0.

There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the changes we introduced since
The Nexus - we just won't be able to get them to a clean state as fast
as we'd like to, and we'd probably have to break backward compatibility
more than we'd be comfortable with in a v3.x release.

Post a reply to this message

> this is a heads-up for all of you who are faithfully working on
> derivatives of POV-Ray - be it qtpovray, the mac port, or what-have-you.
>
> We're currently preparing to enter the beta phase of POV-Ray v3.8;
> however, in order to do so, we will _not_ continue from the current
> master, but rather back up a bit, to the last commit before we
> integrated the overhauled tokenizer/scanner into the parser. To help you
> more easily find that commit in question (85db57d9), we've tagged it as:
>
>      `nexus-v3.8-v4.0`
>
> Also, v3.8 development will _not_ continue in the `master` branch, but
> rather a dedicated branch, `release/v3.8.0` (which already exists and is
> currently ahead of The Nexus, but will be backed up and branch off soon).
>
> Note that besides reverting to the old parser, this will also revert
> back to the use of the boost-thread and boost-system libraries.
>

> We recommend that you _do_ keep all the work you've done since The
> Nexus, as the current state of v3.8 will live on under the moniker v4.0.
>
> There's nothing fundamentally wrong with the changes we introduced since
> The Nexus - we just won't be able to get them to a clean state as fast
> as we'd like to, and we'd probably have to break backward compatibility
> more than we'd be comfortable with in a v3.x release.

That sounds reasonable, thanks !

Post a reply to this message

> this is a heads-up for all of you who are faithfully working on
> derivatives of POV-Ray - be it qtpovray, the mac port, or what-have-you.
>
> We're currently preparing to enter the beta phase of POV-Ray v3.8;
> however, in order to do so, we will _not_ continue from the current
> master, but rather back up a bit, to the last commit before we
> integrated the overhauled tokenizer/scanner into the parser. To help you
> more easily find that commit in question (85db57d9), we've tagged it as:

Bleh. I'll bet this breaks my SDL debugger
( https://www.buckosoft.com/qtpovray/debugger.html )
which was a really simple hook into the new parser.

--
dik
Rendered 50,081,587,200 of 50,081,587,200 pixels (100%)

Post a reply to this message