POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : [Q] POV-Ray in command line Server Time
29 Apr 2024 06:54:46 EDT (-0400)
  [Q] POV-Ray in command line (Message 35 to 37 of 37)
From: Francois LE COAT
Subject: Re: Ingenuity Flight (was: [Q] POV-Ray in command line)
Date: 1 Aug 2023 10:45:44
Message: <64c91a98$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Francois LE COAT writes:
> I've made a WEB page about 18th flight of Ingenuity over planet Mars:
>
> It's possible to reconstruct visible relief, and trajectory from the
> Ingenuity drone, using a simple video sequence. The monocular disparity

> is obtained by matching images with a reference, measuring optical-
> flow. The trajectory is obtained using parameters of the perspective
> transformation describing successive images...
>
> <https://hebergement.universite-paris-saclay.fr/lecoat/demoweb/trajecto
ry.html>

> Since April 19, 2021, the Ingenuity helicopter sent to Mars hasn't
> stopped flying over the planet. It was expected taking off only
> 5 times, to demonstrate that it was possible. In fact, we are in
> February 2022, and a final realization of 19th flight over Mars, was
> attempted. The measurements we take correspond to 18th flight over
> planet Mars, dated 15 December 2021.
>
> The localization of the piloting assistance camera which is obtained,
> is not perfect. The lens of this camera has a radial distortion, what
> is not taken into account by the perspective kinematics model.

We are in August 2023, and the Ingenuity helicopter still flies over
Mars. There's no GPS satellite system on the planet, and a very little
atmosphere compared to Earth, but it is localizing itself with a
grey-scale camera that points to the ground, and it works like that...

Here is a video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_ojUa6XtU>

The image processing computations are obtained from interpolation
performed at <https://twitter.com/stim3on/status/1419414689998594051>

transmitted down the JPL/NASA Laboratory at Caltech University...

Best regards,

--

<http://eureka.atari.org/>

Post a reply to this message

>> I've made a WEB page about 18th flight of Ingenuity over planet Mars:
>>
>> It's possible to reconstruct visible relief, and trajectory from the
>> Ingenuity drone, using a simple video sequence. The monocular disparit
>> is obtained by matching images with a reference, measuring optical-
>> flow. The trajectory is obtained using parameters of the perspective
>> transformation describing successive images...
>>
>> <https://hebergement.universite-paris-saclay.fr/lecoat/demoweb/traject
ory.html>

>> Since April 19, 2021, the Ingenuity helicopter sent to Mars hasn't
>> stopped flying over the planet. It was expected taking off only
>> 5 times, to demonstrate that it was possible. In fact, we are in
>> February 2022, and a final realization of 19th flight over Mars, was
>> attempted. The measurements we take correspond to 18th flight over
>> planet Mars, dated 15 December 2021.
>>
>> The localization of the piloting assistance camera which is obtained,
>> is not perfect. The lens of this camera has a radial distortion, what
>> is not taken into account by the perspective kinematics model.
>
> We are in August 2023, and the Ingenuity helicopter still flies over
> Mars. There's no GPS satellite system on the planet, and a very little
> atmosphere compared to Earth, but it is localizing itself with a
> grey-scale camera that points to the ground, and it works like that...
>
> Here is a video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_ojUa6XtU>
>
> The image processing computations are obtained from interpolation
> performed at <https://twitter.com/stim3on/status/1419414689998594051>

> transmitted down the JPL/NASA Laboratory at Caltech University...

Ingenuity made its 55th flight on August 12, 2023, what demonstrates the
robustness of the control GNU/Linux system, including in particularly
hostile conditions, an unknown environment and minimal supervision,
because the helicopter is almost autonomous, very very far from
everything somewhere in space.

Best regards,

--

<http://eureka.atari.org/>

Post a reply to this message

>>> I've made a WEB page about 18th flight of Ingenuity over planet Mars:

>>> It's possible to reconstruct visible relief, and trajectory from the
>>> Ingenuity drone, using a simple video sequence. The monocular dispari
ty
>>> is obtained by matching images with a reference, measuring optical-
>>> flow. The trajectory is obtained using parameters of the perspective
>>> transformation describing successive images...
>>>
>>> <https://hebergement.universite-paris-saclay.fr/lecoat/demoweb/trajec
tory.html>

>>> Since April 19, 2021, the Ingenuity helicopter sent to Mars hasn't
>>> stopped flying over the planet. It was expected taking off only
>>> 5 times, to demonstrate that it was possible. In fact, we are in
>>> February 2022, and a final realization of 19th flight over Mars, was
>>> attempted. The measurements we take correspond to 18th flight over
>>> planet Mars, dated 15 December 2021.
>>>
>>> The localization of the piloting assistance camera which is obtained,

>>> is not perfect. The lens of this camera has a radial distortion, what

>>> is not taken into account by the perspective kinematics model.
>>
>> We are in August 2023, and the Ingenuity helicopter still flies over
>> Mars. There's no GPS satellite system on the planet, and a very little

>> atmosphere compared to Earth, but it is localizing itself with a
>> grey-scale camera that points to the ground, and it works like that...

>> Here is a video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_ojUa6XtU>
>>
>> The image processing computations are obtained from interpolation
>> performed at <https://twitter.com/stim3on/status/1419414689998594051>

>> transmitted down the JPL/NASA Laboratory at Caltech University...
>
> Ingenuity made its 55th flight on August 12, 2023, what demonstrates th
> robustness of the control GNU/Linux system, including in particularly
> hostile conditions, an unknown environment and minimal supervision,
> because the helicopter is almost autonomous, very very far from
> everything somewhere in space.

*Ingenuity over planet Mars*

#Ingenuity #Perseverance #Mars2020 #Mars #NASA #Solarocks

<https://www.youtube.com/shorts/gV0iPwSCFBY>

Here is a look back at Ingenuity's 59th flight on Mars, as captured by
the Mastcam-Z on the Perseverance Rover.

In this view, I've heavily enhanced the dust blown away during takeoff.
You can also see dust devils moving in the background!

Best regards,

--

<https://eureka.atari.org/>