POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : [Q] POV-Ray in command line : Re: Ingenuity Flight Server Time
9 May 2024 18:39:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Ingenuity Flight
From: Francois LE COAT
Date: 18 Aug 2023 13:00:43
Message: <64dfa3bb@news.povray.org>
Hi,

Francois LE COAT writes:
>> I've made a WEB page about 18th flight of Ingenuity over planet Mars:
>>
>> It's possible to reconstruct visible relief, and trajectory from the
>> Ingenuity drone, using a simple video sequence. The monocular disparit
>> is obtained by matching images with a reference, measuring optical-
>> flow. The trajectory is obtained using parameters of the perspective
>> transformation describing successive images...
>>
>> <https://hebergement.universite-paris-saclay.fr/lecoat/demoweb/traject
ory.html>

>> Since April 19, 2021, the Ingenuity helicopter sent to Mars hasn't
>> stopped flying over the planet. It was expected taking off only
>> 5 times, to demonstrate that it was possible. In fact, we are in
>> February 2022, and a final realization of 19th flight over Mars, was
>> attempted. The measurements we take correspond to 18th flight over
>> planet Mars, dated 15 December 2021.
>>
>> The localization of the piloting assistance camera which is obtained,
>> is not perfect. The lens of this camera has a radial distortion, what
>> is not taken into account by the perspective kinematics model.
>
> We are in August 2023, and the Ingenuity helicopter still flies over
> Mars. There's no GPS satellite system on the planet, and a very little
> atmosphere compared to Earth, but it is localizing itself with a
> grey-scale camera that points to the ground, and it works like that...
>
> Here is a video <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TP_ojUa6XtU>
>
> The image processing computations are obtained from interpolation
> performed at <https://twitter.com/stim3on/status/1419414689998594051>

> transmitted down the JPL/NASA Laboratory at Caltech University...

Ingenuity made its 55th flight on August 12, 2023, what demonstrates the
robustness of the control GNU/Linux system, including in particularly
hostile conditions, an unknown environment and minimal supervision,
because the helicopter is almost autonomous, very very far from
everything somewhere in space.

Best regards,

--

<http://eureka.atari.org/>