POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Survey: Compilers Used Server Time
29 Mar 2024 06:22:46 EDT (-0400)
  Survey: Compilers Used (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: clipka
Subject: Survey: Compilers Used
Date: 20 Jun 2017 10:27:42
Message: <594930de$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

I'd like to get some feedback on what compilers you are using to build
your own POV-Ray binaries (if applicable).

More specifically, I'd like to know whether anyone is using something
*OTHER* than one of the following:

- Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or later.
- Gnu Compiler Collection 4.8.1 or later.
- Clang 3.3 or later.

So if you are using an older version of the above compilers, or an
entirely different compiler, please let us know.

The ultimate purpose of this survey is to determine which C++11 features
might be safe to use in the POV-Ray source code.

Post a reply to this message

> I'd like to get some feedback on what compilers you are using to build
> your own POV-Ray binaries (if applicable).
>
> More specifically, I'd like to know whether anyone is using something
> *OTHER* than one of the following:
>
> - Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or later.
> - Gnu Compiler Collection 4.8.1 or later.
> - Clang 3.3 or later.
>
> So if you are using an older version of the above compilers, or an
> entirely different compiler, please let us know.

3 Compilers in use here (64 bits, intel processor):
* Intel icpc 17.0.4 (from intel parallel studio XE 2017 update 4, for Linux)
* Gnu g++ 6.3.0 (from ubuntu 17.04)
* Clang 4.0.0 (from ubuntu) 17.04)

> The ultimate purpose of this survey is to determine which C++11 features
> might be safe to use in the POV-Ray source code.

Did you known there is C++14 and ...
Winter is coming... no, C++17 is coming!

Post a reply to this message

Am 20.06.2017 um 22:39 schrieb Le_Forgeron:
>> More specifically, I'd like to know whether anyone is using something
>> *OTHER* than one of the following:
>>
>> - Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or later.
>> - Gnu Compiler Collection 4.8.1 or later.
>> - Clang 3.3 or later.
>>
>> So if you are using an older version of the above compilers, or an
>> entirely different compiler, please let us know.
>>

> 3 Compilers in use here (64 bits, intel processor):
> * Intel icpc 17.0.4 (from intel parallel studio XE 2017 update 4, for Linux)

Intel claims full C++11 support as of version 15.0, so that should be ok.

> * Gnu g++ 6.3.0 (from ubuntu 17.04)
> * Clang 4.0.0 (from ubuntu) 17.04)

They should certainly be fine.

>> The ultimate purpose of this survey is to determine which C++11 features
>> might be safe to use in the POV-Ray source code.
>>

> Did you known there is C++14 and ...
> Winter is coming... no, C++17 is coming!

I am well aware of that. But C++14 is currently a no-go -- even if we
could rely on all of our users (those that want to run their own builds
at any rate) having access to a C++14-capable compiler, we're still
stuck with MSVC 2015, GCC 4.8.4 and clang 4.2 on the machines we run our
automated build tests on; of those, only clang will do a reasonable
subset of C++14. You do want us to run automated build tests, don't you? ;)

As a matter of fact, one of our automated build services (the one we
also happen to need to run our automated static code analysis) is still
running Ubuntu 12.04 by default, with GCC still at 4.6 and thus not even
C++11-complete. It was only recently that I learned that they do provide
14.04 images, but they still seem to flag them as beta.

Post a reply to this message

* Ubuntu running under Windows Subsystem for Linux

Post a reply to this message

> * Ubuntu running under Windows Subsystem for Linux

The latter, too, would be GCC 5.4.0.

Post a reply to this message