POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Survey: Compilers Used : Re: Survey: Compilers Used Server Time
24 Apr 2024 09:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Survey: Compilers Used
From: clipka
Date: 21 Jun 2017 13:42:29
Message: <594ab005@news.povray.org>
Am 20.06.2017 um 22:39 schrieb Le_Forgeron:
>> More specifically, I'd like to know whether anyone is using something
>> *OTHER* than one of the following:
>>
>> - Microsoft Visual Studio 2015 or later.
>> - Gnu Compiler Collection 4.8.1 or later.
>> - Clang 3.3 or later.
>>
>> So if you are using an older version of the above compilers, or an
>> entirely different compiler, please let us know.
>>

> 3 Compilers in use here (64 bits, intel processor):
> * Intel icpc 17.0.4 (from intel parallel studio XE 2017 update 4, for Linux)

Intel claims full C++11 support as of version 15.0, so that should be ok.

> * Gnu g++ 6.3.0 (from ubuntu 17.04)
> * Clang 4.0.0 (from ubuntu) 17.04)

They should certainly be fine.

>> The ultimate purpose of this survey is to determine which C++11 features
>> might be safe to use in the POV-Ray source code.
>>

> Did you known there is C++14 and ...
> Winter is coming... no, C++17 is coming!

I am well aware of that. But C++14 is currently a no-go -- even if we
could rely on all of our users (those that want to run their own builds
at any rate) having access to a C++14-capable compiler, we're still
stuck with MSVC 2015, GCC 4.8.4 and clang 4.2 on the machines we run our
automated build tests on; of those, only clang will do a reasonable
subset of C++14. You do want us to run automated build tests, don't you? ;)

As a matter of fact, one of our automated build services (the one we
also happen to need to run our automated static code analysis) is still
running Ubuntu 12.04 by default, with GCC still at 4.6 and thus not even
C++11-complete. It was only recently that I learned that they do provide
14.04 images, but they still seem to flag them as beta.