POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:51:16 EDT (-0400)
  Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. (Message 42 to 51 of 51)
From: Alf Peake
Subject: Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
Date: 10 Jun 2000 06:13:31
Message: <394214cb@news.povray.org>
When this HooHa started I was under the impression that the algorithm
was patented _after_ CS produced the GIF format but before Unisys was
involved. I was wrong?

--
Alf

http://www.peake42.freeserve.co.uk/
http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Alf_Peake/

Mark Gordon <mtg### [at] mailbagcom> wrote in message
> David wrote:
>
> > Did Unisys even make the GIF format?
>
> CompuServe made the GIF format, using an algorithm that they did not
> realize had been patented by a company that had subsequently been
> purchased by Unisys.  Had CompuServe known the algorithm was
encumbered
> by a patent, they probably would have chosen a different algorithm.
>
> -Mark Gordon

Post a reply to this message

From: Mark Gordon
Date: 10 Jun 2000 06:36:23
Message: <39421BB5.AB8BA839@mailbag.com>
Alf Peake wrote:

> When this HooHa started I was under the impression that the algorithm
> was patented _after_ CS produced the GIF format but before Unisys was
> involved. I was wrong?

Digging out books...

1984 - LZW compression invented and written up in IEEE Computer
1985 - LZW patent approved
1986 - Sperry (patent holder) merged with Burroughs to form Unisys, not
quite a purchase like I remembered
1987 - CompuServe creates GIF
1993 - Unisys becomes aware that GIF uses LZW compression

This paraphrased from Encyclopedia of Graphics File Formats, 2nd ed.

-Mark Gordn

Post a reply to this message

>1984 - LZW compression invented and written up in IEEE Computer
>1985 - LZW patent approved
>1986 - Sperry (patent holder) merged with Burroughs to form Unisys, not
>quite a purchase like I remembered
>1987 - CompuServe creates GIF
>1993 - Unisys becomes aware that GIF uses LZW compression

Good news!  If the dates here are correct, the patent on LZW will expire in
two years.

Mark

"Mark Wagner" <mar### [at] gtenet> wrote in message

> Mark Gordon wrote in message <39421BB5.AB8BA839@mailbag.com>...
> >Digging out books...
> >
> >1984 - LZW compression invented and written up in IEEE Computer
> >1985 - LZW patent approved
> >1986 - Sperry (patent holder) merged with Burroughs to form Unisys, not
> >quite a purchase like I remembered
> >1987 - CompuServe creates GIF
> >1993 - Unisys becomes aware that GIF uses LZW compression
>

> Good news!  If the dates here are correct, the patent on LZW will expire
in
> two years.

What I do not understand:

When LZW was published 1984,
how can it be patented in 1985?

I mean as soon as I publish an idea in a newspaper,
it's not any more possible to patent it,
because the idea is general knowledge because
was published before

--

Clear targets for a confused civilization
http://www.BeingFound.com

Post a reply to this message

Many thanks for that Mark. I think my memory need replacing :)

Alf

> Alf Peake wrote:
> >
> > When this HooHa started I was under the impression that the
algorithm
> > was patented _after_ CS produced the GIF format but before Unisys
was
> > involved. I was wrong?
>
> Digging out books...
>
> 1984 - LZW compression invented and written up in IEEE Computer
> 1985 - LZW patent approved
> 1986 - Sperry (patent holder) merged with Burroughs to form Unisys,
not
> quite a purchase like I remembered
> 1987 - CompuServe creates GIF
> 1993 - Unisys becomes aware that GIF uses LZW compression
>
> This paraphrased from Encyclopedia of Graphics File Formats, 2nd ed.
>
> -Mark Gordn

Post a reply to this message

  The patent was approved in 1985. It doesn't mean that the patent application
was made in 1985. The approval of a patent is always a very long process.