POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
29 Jun 2024 06:16:47 EDT (-0400)
  Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. (Message 11 to 20 of 51)
From: Nathan Kopp
Subject: Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
Date: 2 Jun 2000 09:36:03
Message: <3937b843$1@news.povray.org>
Ken <tyl### [at] pacbellnet> wrote in...

> Was this a POV-Team decision or simply that of a patch writer ?

I made the decision myself after reading the Unisys statement very
carefully.  Because I am one of the primary distributers of MegaPov in the
U.S., I felt that this was necessary to protect myself form any negative
legal action.  This decision was also supported by Smellenbergh, since a
patent on LZW is also recognized in many European countries.  I can't speak
for the POV-Team at this moment, but I will say that the topic has been
discussed.

> I for one will greatly miss the gif format if it is lost in the
> official versions of the program.

I understand.  Unfortunately, we may be left with little other choice, given
the current state of LZW licensing.

-Nathan Kopp

Post a reply to this message