POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. : Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available. Server Time
1 Jul 2024 09:44:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Announce: MegaPov 0.5a available.
From: Alessandro Coppo
Date: 3 Jun 2000 02:31:09
Message: <3938A752.3E308FEF@iol.it>
Gilles Tran wrote:

> Anton Raves wrote:
>
> > Me too, I hope they'll keep it in the official versions...
> >   Anton
>
> It may not be such a problem, since everything that can be done in POV with a GIF
> looks like it can be done with a PNG file, including the possibility of filtering a
> colour on the basis of its index number in the palette. The main immediate problem
> could be the lack of (or poor) support of  the various PNG flavours (the palette
> version and the alpha-channel version) by some common freeware, shareware and
> low-cost image processors.

PNG DOES everything GIF does but for animated GIF's (which are supported by MNG).
Plus,
PNG does a lot more (just read the documentation about sophisticated image compression
preprocessing for one example).

PNG is supported by rel 4 browsers (IE4 supports it, there is just a problem: you can
add and IMG tag to a page but for unknown reasons drag-dropping the PNG file is not
supported, so many people think IE4 is not PNG aware).

GIMP works beautifully with PNGs.

Last but not least, PNG is supported by free and open source libraries (batteries not
included...)

Bye!!!