POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Questions about MacMegaPov Server Time
18 May 2024 05:05:06 EDT (-0400)
  Questions about MacMegaPov (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Reusser
Subject: Questions about MacMegaPov
Date: 24 Oct 2001 17:44:51
Message: <241020011639067497%reu1000@chorus.net>
Even though a version of 3.5 will be out soon with carbon support, I
have a couple of questions about MacMegaPov .7 (july 17,2001).

1)  Due to the fact that my files have become more complex and have
longer parsing times, I noticed that there seems to be somewhat of a
bug in the parsing window.  If I scroll one line up as it is parsing so
I don't see the .....'s flowing accross, the parsing time is cut just
about in half.  It also speeds things up even more if I close the
window altogether.  Why is this?  Is there a way to have it parse at
full speed and see the debug statements?

2)  My other observation is regarding a possible bug with multiple
users for OS X.  I have found that it simplifies many things to have a
separate profile for me and my parents, however the files created in
the original profile (theirs) will not open in the same copy of megapov
in my profile.  Is it megapov or the mac os that causes this?

Neither of these observations are what I would consider big problems,
but I was just curious since they can cause some inconveniences.  If
nothing else, they might be taken into consideration in future
versions.

 - Rico

Post a reply to this message

> 1)  Due to the fact that my files have become more complex and have
> longer parsing times, I noticed that there seems to be somewhat of a
> bug in the parsing window.  If I scroll one line up as it is parsing so
> I don't see the .....'s flowing accross, the parsing time is cut just
> about in half.  It also speeds things up even more if I close the
> window altogether.  Why is this?  Is there a way to have it parse at
> full speed and see the debug statements?
You are refering to OS X?
Under OS 9.x there isn't that much difference in speed.
At this moment there isn't a way to speed it up and still get the debug
messages.
You simply can not turn off 'Status_Info' as you can for rending info
etc.
A hint for the Team perhaps to add it in 3.5?? This will avoid those '.'
being displayed in the message window, if only in the Windows version!

Perhaps I can fix this for a next release of MP.
I'm still planning a minor update for 0.7, this version will fix some
minor bugs in the GUI of 0.7 under os X. The rendering engine will
remain at 0.7 with no changes!

> 2)  My other observation is regarding a possible bug with multiple
> users for OS X.  I have found that it simplifies many things to have a
> separate profile for me and my parents, however the files created in
> the original profile (theirs) will not open in the same copy of megapov
> in my profile.  Is it megapov or the mac os that causes this?
This looks like a bug in OS X.
A file created in the shared users folder can not be read by all users.
Not only MP has this problem, so I guess this is a bug.
What you can do in the mean time is to select the file in the finder and
hit command-D. This will duplicate the file.
You will be able to open that duplicate file. Delete the original and
rename the duplicate file to the original name.
But.... I hope to fix this.!?

> Neither of these observations are what I would consider big problems,
> but I was just curious since they can cause some inconveniences.  If
> nothing else, they might be taken into consideration in future
> versions.
The first is minor indeed but not being able to share your files with
users is a *big* problem and I hope I can fix it soon!

Regards,

Smellenbergh

--
e-mail:sme### [at] skynetbe