POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Optimal planar tiling Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:51:59 EDT (-0400)
  Optimal planar tiling (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Optimal planar tiling
Date: 10 Feb 2023 20:25:00
Message: <web.63e6ee633d46165d1f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
jr recently spammed me with a very interesting article, see:

https://www.quantamagazine.org/mathematicians-complete-quest-to-build-spherical-cubes-20230210

Therein, the authors reference J. Choe's tiling of a 2D plane with a hexagon
with minimal perimeter.

The original paper has a diagram with angles,

http://newton.kias.re.kr/~choe/fundamental.pdf

and another paper has the lengths of the sides.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/267246574_Spherical_Cubes_Optimal_Foams_from_Computational_Hardness_Amplificat
ion

From that data, I was able to do a few rotations and use symmetry to getthe rest
of the points, and make a prism, which tiles the plane very nicely.

Next task is going to figure out how to make this into a pigment {function{}}
pattern, and color it like the inbuilt hexagon pattern.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'choehexagon.png' (90 KB)

Preview of image 'choehexagon.png'