POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Media: rendering needs verry long for the last few percent Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:24:12 EDT (-0400)
  Media: rendering needs verry long for the last few percent (Message 11 to 14 of 14)
From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: Media: rendering needs verry long for the last few percent
Date: 6 May 2022 09:25:41
Message: <627521d5$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-05-06 à 02:55, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> Op 05/05/2022 om 19:45 schreef Alain Martel:
>> So, try using +rb16 or +rb12 and see if there is any improvement.
>> Also, changing the rendering pattern so that the rendering start near
>> the centre could help to at least hide some of the slowdown by having
>> the problem blocks starting to get rendered sooner.
>
> Just nitpicking: +rb should be +bs
>
> ;-)

Sorry :(

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Date: 6 May 2022 09:28:25
Message: <62752279$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-05-06 à 02:00, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> Op 05/05/2022 om 23:05 schreef Kenneth:
>> Thorsten <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>>>
>>> If you want a better distribution of the computational load, you should
>>> decrease the render block size such that your object gets distributed
>>> between multiple render blocks.
>>>
>>> Thorsten
>>
>> That works very well, thanks! From my own 'naive' analysis, I had been
>> wondering
>> if a smaller block size would help, but I never tried it. (For my
>> tests, I
>> forgot to mention that my media object occupies about 50% of the
>> screen space--
>> unlike the OP's small object that is probably 'enclosed' by a single
>> render
>> block.) Your suggestion works in both cases, of course.
>>
>> A smaller render-block size has another great advantage: The scene
>> renders
>> faster.
>> Here is my example (using scattering media):
>>
>> block size of 64 pixels: 2 mins 16 sec
>> block size of 8 pixels:  1 min 10 sec
>>
>> That's a definite improvement! And my machine's processor seems to run
>> less hot,
>> based on the cooling-fan speed.
>>

> Ha! Never thought about that 'trick'!

It's highly scene dependent.
On some scenes that already render fast, it can cause the renter time to
increase.
Then, there are cases where it don't have a significant effect.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Date: 6 May 2022 09:31:17
Message: <62752325$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2022-05-06 à 08:11, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
> Op 5-5-2022 om 09:35 schreef Thorsten:
>
>> If you want a better distribution of the computational load, you
>> should decrease the render block size such that your object gets
>> distributed between multiple render blocks.
>>

> Is this also true when doing a stochastic render? Generally, I use:
>
> +am3 +a0.03 +ac0.90 +r3
>
> Is adding +bs12 (for instance) relevant in that case?
>
> Thanks

Yes. It is relevant in most scene where the time needed to render a
block varies greatly.
If all blocks take about the same amount of time to render, it will have
little to no effect.

Post a reply to this message

Op 06/05/2022 om 15:31 schreef Alain Martel:
> Le 2022-05-06 à 08:11, Thomas de Groot a écrit :
>> Op 5-5-2022 om 09:35 schreef Thorsten:
>>
>>> If you want a better distribution of the computational load, you
>>> should decrease the render block size such that your object gets
>>> distributed between multiple render blocks.
>>>

>> Is this also true when doing a stochastic render? Generally, I use:
>>
>> +am3 +a0.03 +ac0.90 +r3
>>
>> Is adding +bs12 (for instance) relevant in that case?
>>
>> Thanks
>>

> Yes. It is relevant in most scene where the time needed to render a
> block varies greatly.
> If all blocks take about the same amount of time to render, it will have
> little to no effect.

Thanks! Good to know. I shall jot this down along with my other notes.

--
Thomas