POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib Server Time
19 May 2022 01:02:51 EDT (-0400)
  4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib (Message 1 to 10 of 15)  
Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 23 Jan 2022 21:45:00
Message: <web.61ee11d0dd54b797afe6ae3e89db30a9@news.povray.org>
I've now made a GitHub repository with color maps for POV-Ray v3.7 from the
Plasma, Inferno, Magma and Viridis color maps in Python's Matplotlib.

The repository is here:
https://github.com/t-o-k/POV-Ray-color-maps

The attached image shows the colors in the Inferno color map.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com
https://github.com/t-o-k


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'inferno-colors.png' (1 KB)

Preview of image 'inferno-colors.png'
inferno-colors.png


 

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 23 Jan 2022 21:50:00
Message: <web.61ee135e3e103344afe6ae3e89db30a9@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> I've now made a GitHub repository with color maps for POV-Ray v3.7 from the
> Plasma, Inferno, Magma and Viridis color maps in Python's Matplotlib.
>
> The repository is here:
> https://github.com/t-o-k/POV-Ray-color-maps
>
> The attached image shows the colors in the Inferno color map.

I wonder why the web preview of the attached image only shows the center of the
image...

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com
https://github.com/t-o-k


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 23 Jan 2022 22:31:11
Message: <61ee1d7f$1@news.povray.org>
On 2022-01-23 22:47 (-4), Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> 
> I wonder why the web preview of the attached image only shows the center of the
> image...

Whenever the aspect ratio is wider than 2:1, the Web preview truncates
the ends.


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 29 Jan 2022 05:45:00
Message: <web.61f51a6b3e1033444cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Cousin Ricky <ric### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> On 2022-01-23 22:47 (-4), Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> >
> > I wonder why the web preview of the attached image only shows the center of the
> > image...
>
> Whenever the aspect ratio is wider than 2:1, the Web preview truncates
> the ends.

Aha! So *that's* the limiting ratio. I have been wondering about that
preview-size oddity for a long time, when posting my own oddly-sized images.
Thanks.


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 30 Jan 2022 08:11:49
Message: <61f68e95@news.povray.org>
Op 24-1-2022 om 04:31 schreef Cousin Ricky:
> On 2022-01-23 22:47 (-4), Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
>>
>> I wonder why the web preview of the attached image only shows the center of the
>> image...
> 
> Whenever the aspect ratio is wider than 2:1, the Web preview truncates
> the ends.

Is there a reason for this behaviour?

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 30 Jan 2022 15:15:00
Message: <web.61f6f0ba3e1033444cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>
> Is there a reason for this behaviour?
>

My guess is that there are some hard-coded values in the web-portal HTML/CSS
code (or whatever is used here), so that the preview does not extend outside of
a certain prescribed 'box-like' area.

I wonder if there is a similar kind of truncation of tall/skinny image posts?


Post a reply to this message

From: Cousin Ricky
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 30 Jan 2022 16:14:16
Message: <61f6ffa8@news.povray.org>
On 2022-01-30 16:10 (-4), Kenneth wrote:
> 
> I wonder if there is a similar kind of truncation of tall/skinny image posts?

One way to find out:


Post a reply to this message


Attachments:
Download 'tall.jpg' (15 KB)

Preview of image 'tall.jpg'
tall.jpg


 

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 31 Jan 2022 03:20:04
Message: <61f79bb4@news.povray.org>
Op 30-1-2022 om 22:14 schreef Cousin Ricky:
> On 2022-01-30 16:10 (-4), Kenneth wrote:
>>
>> I wonder if there is a similar kind of truncation of tall/skinny image posts?
> 
> One way to find out:

And so there is indeed.

I guess this is because the image is posted in a newsgroup where they 
are normally "not allowed" ?

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 31 Jan 2022 06:50:00
Message: <web.61f7cbd93e1033444cef624e6e066e29@news.povray.org>
Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>
> And so there is indeed.
>
> I guess this is because the image is posted in a newsgroup where they
> are normally "not allowed" ?
>

Nope; I took a look at one of my older oddly-shaped image posts in
binaries:images, and its preview is truncated there as well.

IIRC, I've also 'seen' previews there that had no visible preview at all; my
guess at the time was that the image was too hi-rez for the preview to deal
with, in some way. (?)


Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: 4 color maps from Python's Matplotlib
Date: 31 Jan 2022 07:31:02
Message: <61f7d686$1@news.povray.org>
Op 31-1-2022 om 12:45 schreef Kenneth:
> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>
>> And so there is indeed.
>>
>> I guess this is because the image is posted in a newsgroup where they
>> are normally "not allowed" ?
>>
> 
> Nope; I took a look at one of my older oddly-shaped image posts in
> binaries:images, and its preview is truncated there as well.
> 
> IIRC, I've also 'seen' previews there that had no visible preview at all; my
> guess at the time was that the image was too hi-rez for the preview to deal
> with, in some way. (?)
> 

Weird. I would say this is *not* a correct behaviour, especially in 
p.b.i. We should expect a complete reproduction of the render, whatever 
its format, as this is an essential choice of the author.

Any ideas from those in charge? :-)

-- 
Thomas


Post a reply to this message

Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 5 Messages >>>

Copyright 2003-2021 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.