POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trying to make a nice tile, any suggestions on how to improve? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:07:09 EDT (-0400)
  Trying to make a nice tile, any suggestions on how to improve? (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: zzzzzz
Subject: Trying to make a nice tile, any suggestions on how to improve?
Date: 2 Feb 2021 12:40:00
Message: <web.60198e2b2744163b9f015e100@news.povray.org>
Hi, I have a satellite receiver that has a colour display, and often this is
used to show an image of the TV or Radio station it is currently tuned into.

One can download those, as some users continously create them from standard
bitmaps.
I liked the way the Licher Pils picons (as these images are called) look (made
in a Photoshop-like program), but I prefer to make them myself, as this gives me
more options to experiment with.
An example of such a list of picons can be found at :
http://tunisia-dreambox.info/vuplus-2/CoolPicon/picon-hd-3d-licher-pils-design-50x30-astra-19.2e-hdd-by-stefanbenno6_11
.01.2017_all.jpg

I am not very good with POVRAY, though, so I tried hard to make them similar, so
I was wondering if anyone has ideas for improving them.
They don't need to look 100% like the ones from Licher Pils, I just would like
to make sure that they are mapped correctly, and that they are not too light or
too dark.
Choosing the right location of the camera, type of spotlight or other type of
light, etc.
This is the POV file I made to make something similar.
It assumes the image is in a 4:3 aspect ratio, and where the word "factor" is,
that should be replaced by a sort of zoom factor, so that the image is centered
onto the "tile".

#include "colors.inc"
#include "textures.inc"
#include "shapes.inc"
#include "metals.inc"
#include "glass.inc"
#include "golds.inc"
#include "woods.inc"
#include "stones.inc"

camera {
  orthographic
  location <0,0,100>
  right 2*x up 2*y direction -z
  //right 2*x up 2*y direction -z
  // Uncomment to render a side view
  // rotate 90*x
}

 light_source {
    <-50, 50, 90>
    color rgb <1.05 1.05 1.05>
    spotlight
    radius 1.5
    falloff 2.5
    tightness 1
    point_at <0, 0, 0>
  }

// Round button
#declare b_rsquare = superellipsoid {
  // Adjust first parameter: 0=square, 1=circle
  <0.2,0.2>
  translate -z scale <0.99,0.99,1.2>
}

object { b_rsquare

       // end of texture

material{
  texture{
   pigment { color rgb <1 1 1>}
   finish { specular 0.5 roughness 0.01
ambient 0.35 diffuse 0.6 conserve_energy }
  }
  interior{ior 1.16}
}  texture  {
                  pigment {

                        image_map {png "filenaam" map_type 0 once }

                        translate<-0.5,-0.5,-0.5>
                  scale<0.8,1,1>*factor}
//   finish { specular 0.1 roughness 0.01
// ambient 0.1 diffuse 1.2 conserve_energy}} }

        finish {
  specular 0.15
  phong 0.01 phong_size 700
}}}

Post a reply to this message

> I am not very good with POVRAY, though, so I tried hard to make them similar, so
> I was wondering if anyone has ideas for improving them.
> They don't need to look 100% like the ones from Licher Pils, I just would like
> to make sure that they are mapped correctly, and that they are not too light or
> too dark.
> Choosing the right location of the camera, type of spotlight or other type of
> light, etc.

You don't actually use any of the include files, so you can delete those or
comment them out.

Your light source can be a lot simpler:
light_source {
 <-30, 20, -90>
 color rgb 1
}

and to give a bit of ambient illumination to soften the harsh shadow, I'd add a
white sky_sphere, unless you're going to use a transparent background.
sky_sphere {pigment {rgb 1}}

If you want to preserve the shape in the link, use:

#include "shapes.inc"
#declare b_rsquare =
object {
        Round_Box (<-1, -1, -1>, <1, 1, 1>, 0.25, 0)
        scale <1, 1, 1.2>
}

You overwrite the material with the texture that follows it, so you can delete
or comment that out.

I haven't tried using an image_map yet, but I'm thinking it might show up
backwards, unless you rotate it y*180.

Easiest thing to do is use a more "standard" orientation of the camera:
camera {
 orthographic
 location <0, 0, -200>
 right 2*x up 2*y direction z
}

You might also want to explore using the object pattern, or at least make sure
your image map has transparency, if you want a standard base color for the
Picon.

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/tex/tex_560e.htm

Post a reply to this message

Le 2021-02-02 à 14:20, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> "zzzzzz" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
>
>> I am not very good with POVRAY, though, so I tried hard to make them similar, so
>> I was wondering if anyone has ideas for improving them.
>> They don't need to look 100% like the ones from Licher Pils, I just would like
>> to make sure that they are mapped correctly, and that they are not too light or
>> too dark.
>> Choosing the right location of the camera, type of spotlight or other type of
>> light, etc.
>
> You don't actually use any of the include files, so you can delete those or
> comment them out.
>
> Your light source can be a lot simpler:
> light_source {
>   <-30, 20, -90>
>   color rgb 1
> }
>
> and to give a bit of ambient illumination to soften the harsh shadow, I'd add a
> white sky_sphere, unless you're going to use a transparent background.
> sky_sphere {pigment {rgb 1}}

Or simply use :
  background{rgb 1}