POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Trying to make a nice tile, any suggestions on how to improve? : Re: Trying to make a nice tile, any suggestions on how to improve? Server Time
23 Apr 2024 23:49:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Trying to make a nice tile, any suggestions on how to improve?
From: Bald Eagle
Date: 2 Feb 2021 14:25:06
Message: <web.6019a5ed49d4a3511f9dae300@news.povray.org>
"zzzzzz" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> I am not very good with POVRAY, though, so I tried hard to make them similar, so
> I was wondering if anyone has ideas for improving them.
> They don't need to look 100% like the ones from Licher Pils, I just would like
> to make sure that they are mapped correctly, and that they are not too light or
> too dark.
> Choosing the right location of the camera, type of spotlight or other type of
> light, etc.

You don't actually use any of the include files, so you can delete those or
comment them out.

Your light source can be a lot simpler:
light_source {
 <-30, 20, -90>
 color rgb 1
}

and to give a bit of ambient illumination to soften the harsh shadow, I'd add a
white sky_sphere, unless you're going to use a transparent background.
sky_sphere {pigment {rgb 1}}

If you want to preserve the shape in the link, use:

#include "shapes.inc"
#declare b_rsquare =
object {
        Round_Box (<-1, -1, -1>, <1, 1, 1>, 0.25, 0)
        scale <1, 1, 1.2>
}

You overwrite the material with the texture that follows it, so you can delete
or comment that out.

I haven't tried using an image_map yet, but I'm thinking it might show up
backwards, unless you rotate it y*180.

Easiest thing to do is use a more "standard" orientation of the camera:
camera {
 orthographic
 location <0, 0, -200>
 right 2*x up 2*y direction z
}

You might also want to explore using the object pattern, or at least make sure
your image map has transparency, if you want a standard base color for the
Picon.

http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/tex/tex_560e.htm