POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Nested bounding Server Time
4 Aug 2024 14:21:22 EDT (-0400)
  Nested bounding (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Matti Karnaattu
Subject: Nested bounding
Date: 24 Apr 2003 16:30:09
Message: <web.3ea84913ea1edb04bef0bd7d0@news.povray.org>
It should be possible optimize complex object by using several unions to
make automatic bounding more accurate. I think that it maybe not useful to
combine some two finite objects to own union because bounding system takes
also some prosessing time. Question is, how many objects to put nested
union?

Even that automatic bounding create perfect bounding box it should be still
possible to optimize complex object rendering by splitting complex object
to several unions. How can I calculate how many unions to split complex
object?

Matti

Post a reply to this message

> Even that automatic bounding create perfect bounding box it should be
still
> possible to optimize complex object rendering by splitting complex object
> to several unions. How can I calculate how many unions to split complex
> object?

Don't bother. Internally, POV-Ray splits all of the unions, and then does
exactly what you're describing using its *own* algorithm, which produces a
much more efficient bounding box "tree" than you or I could by hand. Chances
are, by using "split_unions off", you'll only slow things down.

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message