POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:10:26 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfield problem (Message 1 to 10 of 24)
From: Lars
Subject: Heightfield problem
Date: 16 Feb 2002 13:47:14
Message: <MPG.16d84912e546d13b989680@news.povray.org>
Help!

I'm working with a large height field object, rendered at very very high
resolution and am coming across a strange artifact when I enable smooth.
Basically, I see darkened boxes instead of a smooth shading (I'm also
losing a lot of detail).

I've got enough resolution in my height field source image, as the
terrain is reasonably well contoured and the non smoothed image doesn't
show large jaggies.  (although it shows serious stepping, making it
unusable).

Anyone have any suggestions on what might be going on, solutions or
workarounds?  Am I hitting some upper limit in significant digits or
precision, or is this related to the normal flipping issue in
heightfields?

I've tried generating a mesh from the source bitmap image using Wilbur,
but that took a LONG time to parse and couldn't ever get the same level
of detail as the heightfield.   It also didn't make proper normals, so
it was faceted.  I've tried different formats for the source image, with
no change.

here's a jpg of the effect:
http://home.pacbell.net/selmo/smooth.jpg

and the same image without smoothing:
http://home.pacbell.net/selmo/no_smooth.jpg

I'm using POV 3.5 windows beta 11.

It's a 16bit 5000x5000 pixel TIFF source image for the height field,
rendered at 20K x 10K pixels.  (yes, I've got good reasons for needing
such high res.  :)   I've tried disabling the shadow in case it was the
normal-edge issue, but that didn't help either.

height_field
{
  tiff "topo.tif"
  scale < 1.0 , 0.02 , 1.0 >
  smooth
  no_shadow
  texture
          {
           finish {specular 0.15 roughness 0.8 crand 0.10 }
           pigment
            {
	           White
            }