POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield problem : Re: Heightfield problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Heightfield problem
From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 17 Feb 2002 10:22:00
Message: <3C6FCA97.51D31352@gmx.de>
Lars wrote:

> [...]
> I'm guessing that probably wouldn't change the boxing effect I see in
> smoothed images, but that might help with trying to get the non smoothed
> image looking less stepped.  That's what I've been trying to do
> recently, but I am having problems finding a good image processing tool
> that can handle 16bit grayscale images.  I've been taking an 1000 x 1000
> 8bit image (TGA converted from a DEM) and upscaling it to 5K x 5K,
> allowing Photoshop to do bicubic interpolation to create the additional
> 16bit data between the original 8 bit image source pixels.

There are various types of so-called 'DEM' data formats which need
different conversion programs.  A lot of them are in a quite simple ASCII
form, but some are more complicated.  Nearly all are 16 bit data in the
original so the 8 bit you get are probably result of the conversion.

> Any recommendations on good tools to smooth and manipulate 16bit
> grayscale images under win2000?  Photoshop is quite limited in it's
> 16bit handling, and I'm not having any luck with Wilbur--it seems to
> produce a lot of empty images and lose data.  HLA didn't run under
> windows 2000.

gforge/HF-Lab should compile with Cygwin without problems.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,