POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Heightfield problem Server Time
30 Jul 2024 22:26:34 EDT (-0400)
  Heightfield problem (Message 21 to 24 of 24)
From: RAY
Subject: Re: heightfields
Date: 19 Feb 2002 18:39:41
Message: <3c72e23d$1@news.povray.org>
<snip>
> originally, it's DEM->TGA->edited image.  So yes, USGS data initially,
> then edit it, then make a very high res terrain from that.
    I think I see the problem, did you use more colors in the heightfield,
or did you just save as a higher resolution, then it wouldn't smooth and
would look like your picture does when two when the color changes more than
one shade.  Try lowering the number of colors in the picture you make the
heightfield from.  That seems to be your problem, although i'm not sure.
Try lowering the depth to the original.
<snip>

Post a reply to this message

From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: Re: Heightfield problem
Date: 19 Feb 2002 19:21:51
Message: <chrishuff-1DAD04.19213819022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <MPG.16dc7eed92fb5086989687@news.povray.org>,
 Lars <sel### [at] pacbellnet> wrote:

> no, I pretty much need that much detail across the whole thing,
> unfortunately.  I'm pushing things to the breaking point, it seems.

Well...how about an isosurface? No more worrying about triangles at all.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Date: 20 Feb 2002 12:37:49
Message: <3c73deed@news.povray.org>
<sel### [at] pacbellnet>  wrote:

> It claimed to generate an error log, but I couldn't find it.

???  POV-Ray does not generate error logs.  Are you sure you got thjis message
from POV-Ray?

What specific error does the message window / console output of POV-Ray show?

    Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

From: Lars
Date: 20 Feb 2002 13:40:09
Message: <MPG.16dd8d67fb130dc3989688@news.povray.org>
> ???  POV-Ray does not generate error logs.  Are you sure you got thjis message
> from POV-Ray?
>
> What specific error does the message window / console output of POV-Ray show?

I ran it again.  I think it's a windows message, meaning it's log will
be useless.  "pvengine has generated errors and a log will be created"
or something.  It didn't look the the usual windows crash dialog(s), so
I didn't recognize it.